• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Aeronautical Mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I made my virgin pilgrimage to Dayton Hamvention this past weekend. Now I can die a happy man. :D

I did have an great time there. It was way larger than I had imagined. After a day and a half of going around on foot, I finally broke down and rented a mobility cart so I could cruise the acres and acres of vendors set up in the East and West "Flea Markets."

As an interesting aside, on my flight back from Dayton I noticed that I was able to hear my repeater IDing with full quieting while still at about 10,000' and 100 nm SE from Hammond, Indiana. :eek:

Even more amazing, I was able to kerchunk the repeater around that same time with only 4watts from my MD-380 on analog! I had my earpiece on with the radio under my suit jacket, and briefly pressed the tiny button on the microphone, while saying quietly, "WQWU626 aeronautical mobile listening." Too bad I hadn't set up my computer to vox record the repeater's speaker. It would have been interesting to hear if the audio made the trip! :lol:

ecps92

I Hope you were the authorized Pilot who authorized you to transmit in the plane. :mad:

At that height, and inside a metal shell, yo probably were hitting a more local repeater

I made my virgin pilgrimage to Dayton Hamvention this past weekend. Now I can die a happy man. :D

I did have an great time there. It was way larger than I had imagined. After a day and a half of going around on foot, I finally broke down and rented a mobility cart so I could cruise the acres and acres of vendors set up in the East and West "Flea Markets."

As an interesting aside, on my flight back from Dayton I noticed that I was able to hear my repeater IDing with full quieting while still at about 10,000' and 100 nm SE from Hammond, Indiana. :eek:

Even more amazing, I was able to kerchunk the repeater around that same time with only 4watts from my MD-380 on analog! I had my earpiece on with the radio under my suit jacket, and briefly pressed the tiny button on the microphone, while saying quietly, "WQWU626 aeronautical mobile listening." Too bad I hadn't set up my computer to vox record the repeater's speaker. It would have been interesting to hear if the audio made the trip! :lol:

toastycookies

Private aircraft, so different rules apply. CW ID was correct. It was definitely my repeater.

Part 95.23

(c) A mobile station unit may transmit from an aircraft or ship, with the captain's permission, which is:

(1) Within or over any area where radio services are regulated by the FCC except where additional restrictions apply; and
(2) On or over international waters, if the unit is transmitting from an aircraft or ship of United States registry.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Not at all surprising to have that kind of range from an aircraft-many aircraft radios run under 10 watts. Yes by rule permission of the Pilot in Command is required for any radio operated on board an aircraft(also need permission of master if on a ship). If you think about it line of sight at that altitude is great. You should try listening to some of the Amateur radio Satellites where you can have a slant range of over 1500 miles and the total output of the downlink transponder is 5-10 watts with a couple of dozen different contacts going through the 'bird' (most common mistake -using too much power on your uplink!!).

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh, Not so fast. :roll: Permission of the Pilot is required :cool:
What, you think I didn't ask my cousin's permission first? I may be getting senile in my old age, but stupid I'm not... :wink:

Is it even possible to post an anecdote here without being assaulted by arm-chair lawyers? :confused:

For the record, the aircraft was my cousin's DA-42 TDi, which is a composite aircraft, so no metal shell to block signals.

Last edited:

bharvey2

What, you think I didn't ask my cousin's permission first? I may be getting senile in my old age, but stupid I'm not... :wink:

Is it even possible to post an anecdote here without being assaulted by arm-chair lawyers? :confused:

For the record, the aircraft was my cousin's DA-42 TDi, which is a composite aircraft, so no metal shell to block signals.

I've always thought it would be cool to try out some distance testing while in an airplane. It's cool that you got the change. I've gone up with my nephew (a pilot) a few times (around Lake Michigan) but never took a radio with me.

You know this is a gateway crime don't you? Next it will be running with scissors and tearing the tags off of mattresses. :)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
One problem with accessing repeaters from aircraft, is that you can kerchunk more than one.

At 10,000 feet it's possible to bring up every repeater (with the same input frequency) within a distance of approximately 120 nautical miles around you.

Tone squelch can help reduce this.

kd7mxi

sadly a lot of the folks on this site think there the FCC ,, and act like they wrote the rules , and think there fcc enforcers

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
One problem with accessing repeaters from aircraft, is that you can kerchunk more than one.

At 10,000 feet it's possible to bring up every repeater (with the same input frequency) within a distance of approximately 120 nautical miles around you.

Tone squelch can help reduce this.
My repeater uses inverted DCS for access, and I've long ago identified all repeaters using my frequency pair within 200nm to ensure there's no duplication of DCS tone.

ecps92

Because -There are people who would read your posting and do the same, however without asking and on a Commercial Airline (putting live in danger for the fun of a ker-chunk) and those are the same folks who run CCR, P25 and other DMR on the analog GMRS bands. :mad:

and Yes, I've slept at a Holiday Inn, once or twice :)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Okay, fair enough then Bill. I suppose I should have burned off a few more pixels being more explicit in my initial post...

Status
Not open for further replies.