• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng uv82hp volume too loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

yycwrangler

Has anyone encountered a baofeng or any other HT that is too loud even when the volume knob is turned all the way down. Just received a uv82hp and can't turn it low enough. In fact very little difference in volume between low and high volume

Thoughts
Cheers
Al

DickH

Has anyone encountered a baofeng or any other HT that is too loud even when the volume knob is turned all the way down. Just received a uv82hp and can't turn it low enough. In fact very little difference in volume between low and high volume

Thoughts
Cheers
Al

Sounds like a bad volume control. Send it back. My UV-82 volume is fine and 2 others I've programmed were fine.

bharvey2

I had a Chinese radio with the same problem although it took a year or two to develop. It was definitely a volume POT problem. The initial power up beep was enough to make you jump out of your seat. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it wasn't worth trying to repair as they generally fall into the throw away category.

Kb2Jpd

I had a Chinese radio with the same problem although it took a year or two to develop. It was definitely a volume POT problem. The initial power up beep was enough to make you jump out of your seat. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it wasn't worth trying to repair as they generally fall into the throw away category.

Who said Repair it. He just bought it. It isn't even out of warranty. Return it to the vendor, swap it or get your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bharvey2

Sure enough Al said he just received his radio and he should return it. However, mine was well past warranty.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And he was warned about those CCR. As has been said on the numerous threads about these CCR, you get what you pay for.

bharvey2

And he was warned about those CCR. As has been said on the numerous threads about these CCR, you get what you pay for.

Too true. However, sometimes a cheap throw-away is suited for the job if one doesn't want to endanger a more valuable radio.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
A friend once said Beofengs are like Bic lighters. They usually work quite well but when they quit working, you throw them away.

SCPD

QRT

There's nothing at all wrong with "CCR" radios, they have many suitable applications and they are making a huge dent in the big three Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom's portable markets.

For the money, they are the best thing that has happened to the portable radio world in fifty years. Their frequency capabilities along with dual band, scan, FM broadcast, full power output, rapid chargers, and inexpensive price make them ideal for most casual users and their sales numbers and popularity proves that they are well worth the money.

Baofeng hit it out of the park with their radios.....The big three are crying in their beer.

SCPD

QRT
A friend once said Beofengs are like Bic lighters. They usually work quite well but when they quit working, you throw them away.

Thats a great feature to have, instead of spending 3/4 the price of a new radio from the big three to get one repaired.

I'll take a case of fully accessorized disposable Baofengs any day over the price of one Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There's nothing at all wrong with "CCR" radios.

Put one on a spectrum analyzer... there is plenty wrong with them...

Yea they are cheap, but you get crap quality and crap audio. Its easy to tell a CCR on a repeater, from almost everything else out there.

I live on the edge of a particular repeaters footprint, I can't key it with my Bao-turd radio, even when I hold it way up over my head.

I can however key it, and talk to people, with both my motorola HT-1000 and my Kenwood NX-200. They both have OEM helical antennas.

Kb2Jpd

Put one on a spectrum analyzer... there is plenty wrong with them...

Yea they are cheap, but you get crap quality and crap audio. Its easy to tell a CCR on a repeater, from almost everything else out there.

I live on the edge of a particular repeaters footprint, I can't key it with my Bao-turd radio, even when I hold it way up over my head.

I can however key it, and talk to people, with both my motorola HT-1000 and my Kenwood NX-200. They both have OEM helical antennas.

Not for nothing, you get what you pay for with any used Motorola or any commercial radio for that matter.

A good shop would make a radio run clean on a analyzer. A regular radio shop would just fix it enough that it would operate with its battery and dump it on eBay or a hamfest .

Stop saying this or that radio is junk. They all have the potential to be great radios or lousey junk. It's up to three things

Initial build quality and design.

Initial bench tune-up , subsequent tune-up which most radios dont get unless they are in a service fleet.

The amount of abuse they get during their service life, including getting dropped from great heights, high speeds, or immersion in unknown liquids.

Used to get the portable radios for WABC and periodic bench for frequency test and spectral purity. Arrived in big pelagin case of a dozen with batteries.

Just because you read an old QST article about a batch of radios doesn't mean they are all bad. Maybe if there was another article about what if you bought a used Motorola from a hamfest, how well would it work? That would wake up some religious zealots.

But these opinions do make US sound like prejudicial self-knowing idiots that believe everything written on a printed page and treat it as dogma.

Played with quite a few radios. Worked with a few radios. Even QST has a column in the publication for errors.

Adam Kb2Jpd

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
Volume Control Loud + Manual Programming

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-86HP HT. Checked and my volume control works as it should. I went to VFO A and programmed NOAA 162.400 broadcast. Then turned to volume all the way up and down. The 1 watt speaker blasted loud and clearly, which surprised me. Then turned down, I did not hear a sound. My problem came when the radio would not save that freq to memory, At first I thought it was due to being out of the HAM band. After several attempts, I contacted BaofengTech support. They were great in trying to assist me. Then I tried 162.395 + 162-405, which both saved to memory channels fine. For some reason 162.400 would not save. When I reported that to tech support, they suggested removal of the antenna (strong receive) and try saving 162.400 again. Low and behold, that did the trick! I was 1/2 hour trying everything.

I have older Yaesu FT-530 + 50R dual band HT's. Both are manual programming so the new Baofeng was not a challenge for me. The only added is you need to program the receive, tones, offset, power, etc and save to a memory channel. Then go back to VFO A and do the same with the transmit freq. Same info but trans freg, then save to same channel number. Otherwise it will not work in channel mode. Another tip I picked up was to make sure on VFO A and that Dual Watch is turned off during programming. I have seen some posts related to these problems. I found out by tinkering which for me always works better than the manual. Unless I need to know what a certain function menu number is.

My two old Yaesu HT's are still like brand new. I have new batteries, chargers and antennas for them., They work like a charm. The main reason I purchased the Baofeng is for everyday use when out of the house. Walking to dog along the Spokane River or out and about. We have had a significant rise this year in car break-ins (broad daylight) and attempted car jacks. Sad to see this happening but I certainly will not take my vintage radios out to the streets. I purchased the Baofeng specifically for this purpose and surprisingly, it has strong audio and great signal reports. So, I have the old die-hard Yaesu radios and the cheapie $65.00 for the car.

yycwrangler

So baofeng tech is sending me a brand new radio. Don't need to return the volume problem one. So the question is, has anyone gone inside these radios and repaired said volume problem. Or if I do take it apart what should I look for. Apart from the volume, this radio runs great. Programs well with chirp. Good receiver even with distant signal. Have purchased a 2m/70cm mobile Larsen which I will hook up and I think this will do me well until I get my general license and can start transmitting. Anyhow any thoughts on the volume problem and resolving it.

Cheers
Al

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not for nothing, you get what you pay for with any used Motorola or any commercial radio for that matter.

I don't know... I bought my HT-1000 for US$100, same price I paid for my Bao-turd radio. My NX-200 I paid nothing for, got it in trade for a $200 repeater controller.

A good shop would make a radio run clean on a analyzer.

Do please tell how one would make a Bao-turd-spark gap-no high pass filtering POS radio 'run clean' on a spectrum analyzer?

A regular radio shop would just fix it enough that it would operate with its battery and dump it on eBay or a hamfest.

Yea, sure...

Stop saying this or that radio is junk.

Why? Bao-turd radios are just that. Crappy, poorly filtered, POS radios that can not even scan properly.

They all have the potential to be great radios or lousey junk. It's up to three things

I can agree with that.

Initial build quality and design.

Crappy design, even worse build quality.

Initial bench tune-up , subsequent tune-up which most radios dont get unless they are in a service fleet.

Are we talking about the same thing here???? I doubt there is much of a 'initial bench tune-up with Bao Fengs, and very doubtful there is ANY follow up bench testing. These are hammy garbage radios.

The amount of abuse they get during their service life, including getting dropped from great heights, high speeds, or immersion in unknown liquids.

It's a hammy toy. It likely gets babied...

Used to get the portable radios for WABC and periodic bench for frequency test and spectral purity. Arrived in big pelagin case of a dozen with batteries.

Point?

Just because you read an old QST article about a batch of radios doesn't mean they are all bad.

No need to read a QST article about how crappy Bao-turd radios are, I hear how crappy they are every time one is keyed, and I hear their crappy audio on a repeater.

Have you ever actually put a Bao-turd radio on a spectrum analyzer? It is VERY easy to see, when listening to the radio directly what is, and what is not a Bao-turd radio, just by how it keys up, and by looking at second, third and fourth harmonics. Heck look at the RL plot of one of the Bao-turd 'dual band' antennas. Some real quality work they are.:sarcasm: :weed:

Maybe if there was another article about what if you bought a used Motorola from a hamfest, how well would it work? That would wake up some religious zealots.

Yea ok. I am by far the furthest thing from a 'Motorola zealot' much more of a Kenwood guy.

But these opinions do make US sound like prejudicial self-knowing idiots that believe everything written on a printed page and treat it as dogma.

Well, funny thing is, not only have I read and researched these Bao-turd radios, I have heard many of them on the air. I have also seen them on spectrum analyzer a as well.

The majority of them are cheap, crappy lousy radios.

Played with quite a few radios. Worked with a few radios. Even QST has a column in the publication for errors.

But have you actually looked at a Bao-turd radio on a spectrum analyzer?

Stop defending these crappy radios. They are by far the WORST thing to happen to portable radios in 50 years.

Heck they make hammy toy radios look like high end LMR radios. The hammy toys at least have a bit of filtering... Well more than the Bao-turd radios anyways.

Kb2Jpd

I don't know... I bought my HT-1000 for US$100, same price I paid for my Bao-turd radio. My NX-200 I paid nothing for, got it in trade for a $200 repeater controller.

Do please tell how one would make a Bao-turd-spark gap-no high pass filtering POS radio 'run clean' on a spectrum analyzer?

Yea, sure...

Why? Bao-turd radios are just that. Crappy, poorly filtered, POS radios that can not even scan properly.

I can agree with that.

Crappy design, even worse build quality.

Are we talking about the same thing here???? I doubt there is much of a 'initial bench tune-up with Bao Fengs, and very doubtful there is ANY follow up bench testing. These are hammy garbage radios.

It's a hammy toy. It likely gets babied...

Point?

No need to read a QST article about how crappy Bao-turd radios are, I hear how crappy they are every time one is keyed, and I hear their crappy audio on a repeater.

Have you ever actually put a Bao-turd radio on a spectrum analyzer? It is VERY easy to see, when listening to the radio directly what is, and what is not a Bao-turd radio, just by how it keys up, and by looking at second, third and fourth harmonics. Heck look at the RL plot of one of the Bao-turd 'dual band' antennas. Some real quality work they are.:sarcasm: :weed:

Yea ok. I am by far the furthest thing from a 'Motorola zealot' much more of a Kenwood guy.

Well, funny thing is, not only have I read and researched these Bao-turd radios, I have heard many of them on the air. I have also seen them on spectrum analyzer a as well.

The majority of them are cheap, crappy lousy radios.

But have you actually looked at a Bao-turd radio on a spectrum analyzer?

Stop defending these crappy radios. They are by far the WORST thing to happen to portable radios in 50 years.

Heck they make hammy toy radios look like high end LMR radios. The hammy toys at least have a bit of filtering... Well more than the Bao-turd radios anyways.

Don't have to. Your comments show us how educated you are and given those here a good insight in what you are and what you represent.

Thank you for the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.