• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CDM Series Reference Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have a Motorola CDM1550 VHF 40watt R04.01.00 mobile radio. It randomly and intermittently freezes. The screen remains on and at a glance the radio seems to be functioning until you go to transmit or change the channel or expect to receive a signal. The radio must be power cycled in order for it to start working again. Sometimes it will power right back on but most of the time the radio must sit for a fairly lengthy amount of time before it will come back on.

I have been reading about similar type problems relating to the Reference Oscillator failing. However most of them stated that their radio would not power on at all. Does this still sound like a Reference Oscillator problem to you?

Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions? Is there a newer version of the CDM series radio that does not have this inherit problem? I would like to fix or replace (whichever is cost effective) this radio with the same make/model.

Thanks for your time and help!

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
The radio just froze up again although this time when trying to change channels it restarted on its own and began operating normally.

SCPD

QRT
Do you have PL DPL code programmed in the channels? I believe radio stop even if they receive a signal from another PL DPL just never will hear sound unless correct PL DPL is received.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have been over to Batwings as well. I reflashed the radio and updated the firmware and it is still having issues. From what I have been able to understand it sounds like this radio is pretty much a paper weight unless you are willing to send it into the Depot which you can replace the entire things for that price. Or you can try to live with the fact that it may go unresponsive at any time. Down side is that is doesn't just reset and fire back up. It is dead for a while before it will come back on.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if there is a model or firmware version that would indicate updated internal hardware so the radio doesn't experience these problems? I am looking at getting a replacement CDM series radio but don't want to run into this issue again. Most likely be a used radio since this radio is no longer in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.