What do you think lies in the future of digital voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kb2Jpd

Hi from Adam Kb2Jpd

Just getting into the DMR side of things, I see some opportunities in remote bases as more timeslots become available with newer repeater hardware and software. I also see remote DMR inputs at home connecting to the internet backbone as increasingly popular.

Store and forward mailboxes that activate whenever somebody else wants to leave you traffic or messages.

Intelligent radios that would summon you via telephone.

With higher bandwidth on the backbone, the beginning of telepresence and remote sensing and more.

Comments, suggestions, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toastycookies

Hi from Adam Kb2Jpd

Just getting into the DMR side of things, I see some opportunities in remote bases as more timeslots become available with newer repeater hardware and software. I also see remote DMR inputs at home connecting to the internet backbone as increasingly popular.

Store and forward mailboxes that activate whenever somebody else wants to leave you traffic or messages.

Intelligent radios that would summon you via telephone.

With higher bandwidth on the backbone, the beginning of telepresence and remote sensing and more.

Comments, suggestions, thoughts?

more protocols.

Kb2Jpd

There is plenty of room for improvement.

The radios can self program themselves so you don't have to program them awhile losing your head.

Firmware updates can be done Over the air when repeater has downtime.

Smart autopatch which automatically moves you to a vacant timeslot.

S m art paging with ability to text you.

N4KVE

How about better QC for the $110 radios. How about people learning how to program their own radios instead of depending on others for a code plug. How about people on NA not using terms like "what's your handle" or "good buddy". How about people making a contact on NA, & quickly going to Tac 310. I know, that's an oxymoron.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I agree that the radio marketers will come up with one more ploy to sell another round of new systems. However, I think next decade we will see LTE taking over, so that will likely be the focus.

I am amazed that the radio systems don't interface with CAD to automatically join individual radios to the assigned talk groups for incidents.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
How about better QC for the $110 radios. How about people learning how to program their own radios instead of depending on others for a code plug. How about people on NA not using terms like "what's your handle" or "good buddy". How about people making a contact on NA, & quickly going to Tac 310. I know, that's an oxymoron.

Could not agree more...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Hit the nail on the head...

Nothing worse than seeing people with no ability to LEARN how to program a radio. I fully ignore codeplug requests. If you can't be bothered to learn how to program your radio, I'm not going to waste my time giving you a codeplug.

I wish TG-3 was PTT on demand on my local repeater. TG-3 is a cesspool of lids. Repeating their Callsign twice then saying 'copy' after. Ugggg. Or some one asking for a signal report... You either are not making it or you are. Or idiots interrupting a conversation to say 'great signal up here in xxxxxx' or guys calling CQ... Calling CQ on a frikin repeater???????????????

N4KVE

Hit the nail on the head...

Nothing worse than seeing people with no ability to LEARN how to program a radio. I fully ignore codeplug requests. If you can't be bothered to learn how to program your radio, I'm not going to waste my time giving you a codeplug.

I wish TG-3 was PTT on demand on my local repeater. TG-3 is a cesspool of lids. Repeating their Callsign twice then saying 'copy' after. Ugggg. Or some one asking for a signal report... You either are not making it or you are. Or idiots interrupting a conversation to say 'great signal up here in xxxxxx' or guys calling CQ... Calling CQ on a frikin repeater???????????????
Sadly the availability of $110 radios has brought an onslaught of people from 11 meters to DMR. Wow, I can get the minimal Ham license, & talk around the world for $110.They need to leave their bad habits on 11 meters,

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Sadly the availability of $110 radios has brought an onslaught of people from 11 meters to DMR. Wow, I can get the minimal Ham license, & talk around the world for $110.They need to leave their bad habits on 11 meters,

This is why my 4550 got pulled from my truck and replaced with a high power XTL. I don't listen to wide are DMR talk groups because I can't stand the stuff that has been mentioned. I also can't stand chasing my volume knob and the poor audio quality from the cheap radios.

Now I just for the most part use P25 and most of the time on LMR encrypted.

DMR has a lot of potential. Really digital in general does. I enjoy the technical side of the hobby. That's what got me into 900 and then DMR. But with it being "just another 2 meter repeater" and people not willing to use TGs correctly I have lost interest in it.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I make the time to politely teach new folks how to operate properly. It's really a matter of exercising a positive attitude towards being a true Elmer and not a belligerent bully. I've actually heard some of the same folks I've mentored doing the same thing with other newbies, and that gives me immense satisfaction.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I make the time to politely teach new folks how to operate properly. It's really a matter of exercising a positive attitude towards being a true Elmer and not a belligerent bully. I've actually heard some of the same folks I've mentored doing the same thing with other newbies, and that gives me immense satisfaction.

I'm 100% all for that. But it seems like a good chunk don't want to learn. They just want to pick up a radio and it work. Standard/best practice is lost amongst them. Especially on wide area talk groups.

Aside the blowing up wide area TGs for local conversations or not moving to a TAC channel or not adjusting your audio settings. My biggest annoyance is asking for a code plug for your radio. Ask questions and let us teach you how to program it and why it needs to be done a certain ways. I refuse to spoon feed people.

With all that said, I hope digital keeps growing in the ham world. It brings a great new aspect to the hobby.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I proposed an idea that could mitigate the issue of wide-area TG "abuse." Simply put a three minute TOT on the TG, with a two minute auto-reset. Folks would either learn to make a quick contact and then move to a PTT TG, or simply wind up being disconnected.

N4KVE

This is why my 4550 got pulled from my truck and replaced with a high power XTL. I don't listen to wide are DMR talk groups because I can't stand the stuff that has been mentioned. That's what got me into 900 and then DMR. But with it being "just another 2 meter repeater" and people not willing to use TGs correctly I have lost interest in it.
I didn't pull the 4550 from my car, but I removed all the D-Marc systems from my radio. Just some Florida wide systems that have nothing to do with D-Marc. But I did install a 900 MHz XTL5000 right under my 4550. No lids there, & everyone's audio sounds great. People talking about radios, not what they ate at Taco Bell yesterday. Sort of what DMR sounded like before the flood of $110 radios hit our shores.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I didn't pull the 4550 from my car, but I removed all the D-Marc systems from my radio. Just some Florida wide systems that have nothing to do with D-Marc. But I did install a 900 MHz XTL5000 right under my 4550. No lids there, & everyone's audio sounds great. People talking about radios, not what they ate at Taco Bell yesterday. Sort of what DMR sounded like before the flood of $110 radios hit our shores.

To be completely fair, I'm keeping another 4550 in the house and keeping my 7550. So if i need DMR I've got it covered still. I just like the display on the XTL better. And locally we talk on LMR encrypted 95% of the time. If we had a large local/regional DMR system that was not part of DMR-MARC it might be a different story...

Kb2Jpd

I proposed an idea that could mitigate the issue of wide-area TG "abuse." Simply put a three minute TOT on the TG, with a two minute auto-reset. Folks would either learn to make a quick contact and then move to a PTT TG, or simply wind up being disconnected.

It would make better sense to have an automatic feature to auto QSY. Meanwhile it's just better to ask nicely and don't be a dick.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It would make better sense to have an automatic feature to auto QSY.

Why is that? Why can people not learn how the network is set up, and know when it is appropriate to use another talkgroup.

Meanwhile it's just better to ask nicely and don't be a dick.

Agreed. Way easier to guide people... Too bad some just can not put any effort into furthering their own education. There is lots of no out there. Just have to make the effort to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.