• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO CPS 13.0, RM and Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Has anyone successfully used the newest CPS with Radio Management to program an XPR7550e via Wi-Fi?

The CPS and firmware were just release and /\/\ tech support told me it was functional.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's incredibly fast. We have two XPR7550es in our shop and have been playing with them for several days now. What would you like to know?

N2ICV Only the new 'e' models have Wi-Fi.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I don't even know where to begin. I try to find videos on installing and configuring RM but they are all old versions. Can you point me to a video or an MOL online course that goes over it? Most MOL "training" videos are nothing more than sales videos with a minimal amount of technical information.

Yes, it's incredibly fast. We have two XPR7550es in our shop and have been playing with them for several days now. What would you like to know?

N2ICV Only the new 'e' models have Wi-Fi.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
We upgraded from the older version of RM but it was straight forward. We did decide to put it on a separate PC after a while however, but it was easy to setup a new server. I'll be back in the shop tomorrow and can give a better description then but the documentation supplied in the CPS download should help you get started.

I don't believe it's different enough from the older version to not be able to get things going from currently available documentation. From memory, install everything included (CPS, RM, Device Programmer, etc), setup the server to run using the RM Server Utility, go into CPS and click on the Radio Management button. After a few seconds, it'll ask for the server details. If it's installed on the PC you're using, simply leave it as "localhost" with the default port. Once in there, the RM comes with 10 licenses that allows you to manage ten radios (more can be added with an EID that's free).

Add your radio by entering its serial number and ID. Most info is optional and you can either enter it or leave it blank. Go to the RM Device Monitor (separate application) and check its settings to make sure it's communicating with the RMS and check all of the boxes you intend to monitor for programming (USB + LAN/Wi-Fi, Over-the-air, etc.).

Go back to the RM in CPS. I don't believe you need an OTAP key for Wi-Fi so go ahead and try to schedule a read operation to see if you can pull in the template from your radio that is presumably on the same LAN as your RM/CPS computer.

Apologies if I've missed anything (someone please correct me as needed)! As much as I've worked with RM and OTAP, I'm still working on my proficiency.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Okay... I'll start with that. I am setting up a laptop that will only be used for turbo programming and I will install 13.0 and RM server on it. My goal is to have a laptop set up and if there is a client that has more than 20 or so subscribers, make sure everything is in place and configured in the radios, so I can take a laptop and wireless router to the location, turn the radios on and make the requested changes via WiFi.

I do have 2000 EID's for radio management but that was in the days of OTAP, not WiFi. I'm not sure if WiFi requires said EID's

Thanks for the reply....more to follow

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I do have 2000 EID's for radio management but that was in the days of OTAP, not WiFi. I'm not sure if WiFi requires said EID's
The HKVN4101A RM Licenses are required to even be able to put the radios into the RMS. They come with 10 but you can add a lot more than that. They no longer charge for the licenses but still require them, go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.