• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX™ series of radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BillyBob1

It has been a while since I have been on here it's good to be back.

So on to the purpose of the post (might seem like a rant sorry ahead of time if it comes off as so)

APX™ series of portable radios:
1. The design of the APX™ series of radios I don't know about anyone else I like the overall design of the portable with the lone exception of being two sided and not the normal one sided I see in my own view that it would be difficult to manipulate the display and keys especially on the model 2.5 and 3.5 radios since most of the time one would assume that you would have it clipped on a belt or in a case.

2.The APX™ XE500 remote speaker microphone is a nice design I like the idea of having a dedicated channel knob. I would like to see a model without the channel knob. The XE500 seems like a sleek and slimmed design as to the APX™ XE and APX™ XP remote speaker microphones.

APX™ series of mobile radios:
1. The APX™ series of mobile radios needs a true all-band radio instead of having to interconnect two radios together with the APX™ dual radio. I believe having a all-band radio in one housing as apposed to the two could help save room and energy.

2. The O9 integrated control head looks nice however is a bit on the bulky side because of the following features
• Integrated full size DTMF keypad
• Large programmable one-touch buttons
• Dedicated siren controls
• Integrated Response Selector

3. The APX™ dual radio is a nice start to a radio with interoperability in mind however having a single option for a control head seems like a bad choice. Having the option of the O3 Hand held control head, O5 Standard control head, or O7 Enhanced control head is not only a good choice but a logical choice.

com501

With the APX mobile you can get FPP with the O7 head. The APX8000 portable is all band. Pretty sure you will see the APX8500 mobile soon, also.

Who wouldn't want an all band 110watt mobile?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Who wouldn't want an all band 110watt mobile?

I certainly would, but I like not having a second mortgage on my house more.

Seriously, though. I'm hoping that competition will drive the prices down on these. An all in one unit is nice, but I can get a Kenwood NX-5000 set up with 3 RF decks cheaper. Not 110 watts, though.

PACNWDude

The APX series of radios i very nice. The 8000 has a lot of what I like in a multiband radio. I just went through this with the Harris Unity series though. So I am not looking forward to another huge money investment and learning curve again, not for a while at least.

If I could liberate a pile of Harris PRC-117 mobiles and 152 handhelds from the military, I would be set for a long while. At least until the commercial side of Motorola catches up a little more.

The biggest thing to realize before investing in something like the APX line,is that you are paying for research and development, and acting as a guinea pig testing them. That is the price of being an early adopter.

jruta

True, highly priced but the same could be said for the Saber back in the day, or the HT1ks, or the MT/MTS series. All the best in their day.. APX is the current King. Very nice radios indeed.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have a V/7/8 HP with O9 head and U1/7/8 with O7 head with FPP, also HP in my county vehicle. I have both extra cables run to the rear bed (which is enclosed) to attach an extra O5 or even O3 for command/control if I need it. As the APX radios can support multiple head options, it can fill many needs.

Both of them serve any need I have: monitor my system while operating on another, interop exercises, tactical support, and even gas bagging on a local V or U ham machine (and sounds better than some turdy Chicrap radio anyday of the week, have 100 watts helps too).

These are serious tools for serious users. The price is indeed high. But these are not in the same category of subscriber as some low rent POS meant for the golf course caddie the same way a Hyundai Accent isn't comparable to a Chevy Tahoe. Two totally different grades of vehicles and priced accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.