Enfield police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I stopped in Enfield to get fuel last night and heard regular back and forth communications on 153.785 MHz with 203.5Hz PL tone. This is listed as the Enfield police repeater input.

I switched my other scanner over to 155.82MHz and heard nothing and saw no meter indication.

As I got farther up the road it was clear that I was hearing the mobile units direct so they are either on simplex or the repeater output is incorrect as listed in the database.

Anybody know which? Thanks.

Last edited:

reconrider8

Hmmmm I think Littleton and either Enfield or Scotland neck share the same outputhttp://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1253735 there's the license for it

dwh367

My guess they were using the repeater input, for simplex communications, without the correct tone to key the repeater. I've seen that done by different agencies. They think they're hiding.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
My guess they were using the repeater input, for simplex communications, without the correct tone to key the repeater. I've seen that done by different agencies. They think they're hiding.

Nope, they were using the correct tone 203.5Hz as listed here.

Usually when they go to "talk-around" they use simplex on the repeater output. That way if somebody calls them on the repeater (like the dispatcher, for example) they can still hear it.

I'll have to spend a little more time next time I'm down that-a-way and see if I can locate their output freq.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe using a input as a car to car frequency? Have seen both input and output used for simplex or car to car depending where you go.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I've never seen repeater inputs intentionally used for simplex communications, primarily because it blocks out other users trying to talk through the repeater simultaneously.

If they want to save on frequency allocations for simplex they use the repeater output. I've been monitoring VHF public safety and railroad comms for over 30 years and this is a truism that has held across my travels throughout the eastern half of the U.S. It's one of the truly neat-o things about conventional communications that can't be duplicated by trunked systems.

In other weirdness, I asked on another thread why the output of the Black Creek police repeater is the input to the Wilson County sheriff repeater? And the Black Creek tac input is also listed separately as a tac channel.

It is more likely that the RadRef database has some incorrect listings than these frequencies were allocated by professionals who should know better. That's why I'm questioning the database listing here since it might need some correction.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
If I get a shot tomm I'll run that way bote. Where ya at now anyways

I'm at the world-famous McLean Relay Station in its final days, so everything must go! When I return south to FLA sometime next week I'll make it a point to figure out who's on what frequency around there.

Still, I'd be curious to learn what you discover. It seems that North Carolina is mish-mash of old conventional systems and modern trunked systems so you never know what you'll find if you don't monitor it all the time.

Thanks.

kb4mdz

Bote -

Gonna burst your bubble about the 'talkaround on the repeater input' thing. :)

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission did it for ages on their VHF statewide system. Their trick is to do t/a with no PL transmitted. Yeah, go figure.

Repeater outputs are up in 159.00 MHz, region, and inputs are in 151. MHz. My only guess right now (I haven't dived deep into this subject by looking up radio specs, etc) is that back in the days of MIcor, Mocomm, and Motrac, when band splits were numerous but narrow, it would have been a bear to get a transmitter to do both 151 & 159;

How old is the sytem? Ages. An engineering decision that has had lasting effects? You bet. Nobody ever had the ???? to change it as mobile radios got better.

Think they're on NC Viper now; don't know if the VHF repeaters are still active.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Bote -

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission did it for ages on their VHF statewide system. Their trick is to do t/a with no PL transmitted. Yeah, go figure.

Repeater outputs are up in 159.00 MHz, region, and inputs are in 151. MHz. My only guess right now (I haven't dived deep into this subject by looking up radio specs, etc) is that back in the days of MIcor, Mocomm, and Motrac, when band splits were numerous but narrow, it would have been a bear to get a transmitter to do both 151 & 159

I've seen systems where they had SP radios with 2 receivers in them so the transmitter would stay within its tuned range and the second receiver would listen on the transmit frequency. The front end filters were an even bigger bear to frequency agility so they just slapped another receiver and a combiner in the chassis and charged even more money for it. Motorola, can you believe it??

WA4MJF

Bote -

Repeater outputs are up in 159.00 MHz, region, and inputs are in 151. MHz. My only guess right now (I haven't dived deep into this subject by looking up radio specs, etc) is that back in the days of MIcor, Mocomm, and Motrac, when band splits were numerous but narrow, it would have been a bear to get a transmitter to do both 151 & 159;

How old is the system? Ages. An engineering decision that has had lasting effects? You bet. Nobody ever had the ???? to change it as mobile radios got better.

Think they're on NC Viper now; don't know if the VHF repeaters are still active.

Way to new, think GE Progress Line*, bought a pallet load , had a box that sat under seat with just the tone reeds.

* Some T power, some vibo.

Status
Not open for further replies.