Help a newb: SDR setup for 0-30MHz waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

fn_form

My priority is the most cost-effective equipment required for a 0-30MHz waterfall display. Second priority is ability to record max raw bandwidth signals for later perusal/decoding.

I'm not new to the SDR world but haven't paid attention to this field since the RFSpace SDR-14 got me interested in this concept of wide waterfall for active listening and/or recording for unattended receiving.

What would you use today for my first priority? Any way to accomplish the second priority as well?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Kb2Jpd

My priority is the most cost-effective equipment required for a 0-30MHz waterfall display. Second priority is ability to record max raw bandwidth signals for later perusal/decoding.

I'm not new to the SDR world but haven't paid attention to this field since the RFSpace SDR-14 got me interested in this concept of wide waterfall for active listening and/or recording for unattended receiving.

What would you use today for my first priority? Any way to accomplish the second priority as well?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Start on adafruit.com. SDR with raspberry pi. She just made Extra so she is one of us now.

Adam Kb2jpd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mancow

Database Admin
The best bang for the buck will probably be the HackRF by Great Scott Gadgets. It can do 20 MHz and with SDR# you can save the file as you mentioned. It's about $300 or so.

Voyager

I would use the Airspy/Spyverter combo with the SpectrumSpy SW that will show the full 30 MHz (and more if you want) with waterfall. At about $250, I would say it wins the bang-for-the-buck contest since it shows 50% more for about 17% less although it will not transmit.

fn_form

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at all of them.

I would use the Airspy/Spyverter combo with the SpectrumSpy SW that will show the full 30 MHz (and more if you want) with waterfall. At about $250, I would say it wins the bang-for-the-buck contest since it shows 50% more for about 17% less although it will not transmit.

This sounds like a great option for live spectrum view. Especially given VHF and up capability w/o the SpyVerter.

I will have to find out what recording options there are for up to 30MHz bandwidth when the station is unattended.

My use won't be limited to HF, but HF is the primary concern right now.

Comp-100

I'm a noob when it comes to SDR, but i've been researching similar things. If you already have a HF receiver that uses up-conversion so as to have a high first IF you could connect the IF into a dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.