Would a FM Filter clear out freq. in the 400-500 mhz range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Rya

EDIT: Meant to say "help" out freq not "clear" out freq in the title, For some reason it won't let me change the title.
I am pretty sure that I have some FM transmitters that are overloading my scanner but if I get a FM Filter will it help the freq. higher up in 400-500 mhz range as most of the channels I listen to are in that range or will it only help the freq closer to the FM freqs? Thanks

RFI-EMI-GUY

If your scanner has such poor front end filtering (as many do) that a nearby FM broadcaster is overloading it, an FM notch filter should help. If you are getting fourth or fifth harmonic energy from the broadcaster, it might not.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
IF you're talking about a FM broadcast filter, then NO it will have little effect on 400 mhz or above. It may be a paging transmitter causing intermod, in which case you would need a filter from PAR to attenuate the intermod. 73, n9zas

5Rya

IF you're talking about a FM broadcast filter, then NO it will have little effect on 400 mhz or above. It may be a paging transmitter causing intermod, in which case you would need a filter from PAR to attenuate the intermod. 73, n9zas

How would I find out what freq is causing the issues? The only reason I suspect fm transmitters to be a problem is that when I run close call it always spikes heavily in the 88-108 zone where there is little spiking in the other freqs.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmm... then maybe it is a broadcast FM station creating desense or something, but usually it would be a paging transmitter around 454-455 mhz. Try your filter & see if it helps I guess. I have a FM broadcaster that I can see the tower of, maybe 1 mile away, from the window where one of my scanners are. No problems from it. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.