How do I find the frequecies for The DNR Police Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman1

I was talking to a DNR Police Officer in Joppa, MD who kept telling me my scanner would not pick up DNR Police Freqs because they are in the 700mhz range. I thought the Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP picked up the 700mhz range. Anybody know how I can program this into my scanner using the Sentinel BCDx36HP software or is the Officer correct. ???
I figured he just didn't want to tell me.
I found DNR for my area but they're all in the 100s to 600s but I didn't see 700s.

emtLarmy15

They are on Maryland FiRST and all of their talk groups are encrypted. You will not hear them in that area. There are some other areas where you can still hear them on their VHF frequencies but you cannot in that area I believe.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Joppa Should be in NRP Area 6. They should be on FiRST as some of Area 5 is now on FIRST. Not sure what talkgroup they are on FiRST but they might share one with Area 5 since Area 6 is a small area. Either way, they are encrypted.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Best hope to ID any of that is to catch an RID for them popping up on an allied agency talkgroup/system and trace that back by unit ID to whatever talkgroup they usually come up on.

marksmith

Can only hear them in the 155/151 MZ ranges now. These are still active around Baltimore and Annapolis area and some other areas including western MD.

They are in the state section under your county in MD in Sentinel. All the Eastern shore is now on FiRST and encrypted, and I think your area also. I think all their old repeaters are still alive, so it is still possible you could hear some activity from where you are on the VHS frequencies. I listen all the time.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Indeed, they use the local MSP talkgroups when they need interop. Since the fast majority of their LE mission relates to poaching (fish and game) they keep everything encrypted to be able to effectively target areas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

anthonymodrow

Indeed, they use the local MSP talkgroups when they need interop. Since the fast majority of their LE mission relates to poaching (fish and game) they keep everything encrypted to be able to effectively target areas.

Was just going to ask why. Then again hunters could always have a earbud in lol

Sent via Tapatalk on Note 4

maus92

Premium Subscriber
But then again, the NRP mostly conducts routine patrols, SAR and other types of operations that do not require encryption, but may require multi-agency coordination / interoperability. Perhaps they will have the ability to communicate on the various jurisdiction's systems when necessary, but so far I haven't heard them on AACo's system yet - maybe that will change this coming summer. In terms of good governance, full time encryption is a bad idea / trend, except for limited circumstances that absolutely require secure communications. IMO, they should operate in the clear, but have a working secure TG available when circumstances require it.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps they will have the ability to communicate on the various jurisdiction's systems when necessary, but so far I haven't heard them on AACo's system yet - maybe that will change this coming summer.

FYI: As of a year ago, NRP officers do not have Anne Arundel Fire or Police Talkgroups programmed in their radios. I spoke to a NRP officer and he told me they don't. When they get the 700mhz radios, they might have local jurisdictions programmed in but I don't know.

DisasterGuy

For the record, and not particularly applied to the NRP scenario, there are multiple national interoperability keys both for general public safety as well as LE only. While they are tightly controlled, every public safety system manager has acceas to the to use them for secure interoperability. Encryption by itself doesn't create a closed off system, only failure to share keys or use national level interoperability keys.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
For the record, and not particularly applied to the NRP scenario, there are multiple national interoperability keys both for general public safety as well as LE only. While they are tightly controlled, every public safety system manager has acceas to the to use them for secure interoperability. Encryption by itself doesn't create a closed off system, only failure to share keys or use national level interoperability keys.

Yup, I know that. But key management / sharing seems to be problematic in practice - not sure why, perhaps training, the competence of the system managers, or logistical issues (or combinations of these factors, IDK.) Anyway, remember the sh*tstorm when DC Fire decided to encrypt, and the neighboring jurisdictions had to scramble to reprogram their radios? And then DC reversed its decision (somewhat.)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
FYI: As of a year ago, NRP officers do not have Anne Arundel Fire or Police Talkgroups programmed in their radios. I spoke to a NRP officer and he told me they don't. When they get the 700mhz radios, they might have local jurisdictions programmed in but I don't know.

I was projecting to this summer because the AACo site was scheduled to be fully operational by June I think. So I'd think that NRP would switch over to 700 at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.