• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1999 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tip

Premium Subscriber
Picking up a 1999 Honda CRV (automatic, shift on steering col). Any pics of installs in one of those? Has factory radio, so I think I can install a scanner in dash underneath it?

That being said, any recs for mobile scanner for this vehicle? I live in Shirley MA, and mostly listen to the locals, state, some Devens (range) comms, but might want something that on the fly can pick up comms wherever I am. Only scanner I have that can do that is the HP-1. Still love my Pro-96 though.

Thinking about one of the unidens, if the problems have subsided.

Thanks.

Tom

N9JIG

Sheriff
Does the car have a DIN slot? If so then radios like the BCD996 or 536 series will fit in like a glove.

If not then the Whistler 1095/1098 and upcoming DMR replacement have remote heads.

If you get a ZIP Code scanner be sure to remember to turn it off with the controls before you remove power (such as with the ignition) to prevent SD Card corruption.

JimmyDidIt23

1999 Honda CR-V radio install

I used to drive a 2001 Honda CR-V which I believe is the same body style as the 1999, they didn't change design until 2002, mine was a standard with real time 4X4.

I first started by replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket stereo, I cut a hole in the back of the little pocket right below the radio and slid in a Yaesu FT-8100r dual band transceiver. It was a little sung but I was happy with the placement as it was easy to reach and it allowed me to remove the face when I left the vehicle. After a while I started to have cooling issues and it wouldn't transmit properly so I had to come up with an alternative.

Since I had plans to install several other items in the vehicle I decided to remove the little fold down table in between the seats and went with a horizontal stacking system I purchased from a Galls catalog that allowed me to bolt together a siren and a switch box for lights. I left enough room at the top so I could screw the radio bracket into the body of the siren controller as the radio was not as wide as the rest of the boxes. Once everything was tight I wired it all up using quick disconnects so I could remove it if I ever needed to pull it out to work on it and I bolted it down right in between the seats.

This is probably a little overkill for what you were wanting to do but it worked for my application.
I ran a small dual band NMO antenna on the roof of the vehicle and it worked great!
I don't have any pictures of the setup, I wish I had taken some as it was all nice and tight.

I ended up having to get rid of the that vehicle as I blew the timing belt on a camping trip one summer, I have the engine rebuilt but it never ran the same again.
REPLACE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me, I practically pulled that entire vehicle apart running cables and whatnot.

Have fun and good luck.

Attachments

• VE201_1500_1.jpg
    VE201_1500_1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 734

etmccaus

Sorry for finding this thread so late!

Yes! In fact, I had a '00 CR-V, and did install both CB and a DIN scanner. CB - a smaller Uniden job -- went into the spot where the ash tray normally went; cut the ashtray fascia bit to fit right around the CB face -- looked halfway decent.

I was able to find a stereo install kit that converted the Honda slot into a double-DIN opening (forget if it was Metra or the other 'major' brand. That in turn let me install both a DIN-size Pioneer head unit AND my Uniden 536, although it took a little bit of manipulation. Trying to find photos but failing at the moment.

I'm not trying to spam you, but if you're looking to do some wiring/ maintenance on the CR-V, I have an OEM electrical manual, which goes into much greater detail of the harness schematic and connector details than the OEM CR-V service manual (which I also have) does. Happy to let that go for cost of shipping, if interested -- PM if so.

Last edited:

tip

Premium Subscriber
Late getting back to this! I ended up with a second hand Pro-2096 as that was all the budget would allow and it fits most my needs. I don't think its going to fit under the factory stereo. Interesting idea on the ash tray hack. May look into that.

As far as the timing belt, was replaced by first owner (I am the second).

I will check out the Galls catalog and drool.... (sorry TMI).

Thanks all for the input.

Tom

tip

Premium Subscriber
Last, but not least, does anyone know of an outfit in the Shirley/Groton (MA) area that could do an install if the right DIN components are purchased?

Thanks again.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.