• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8HP Repeater wont audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
Hey Everyone
I have a pair of Baofeng BF-F8HPs that I have connected together to make a backup repeater for emergency communications. When I connect them together using a 2.5mm to 3.5 cable or using repeater controllers using vox the audio will be go through and be retransmitted when I am next to it. However when I go about a block away and talk the transmit radio will transmit but the voice wont be transmitted. I can unplug the reciever radio and the audio can be heard very clearly with no static at all. I have reset the radios and checked all settings to be the same. Whats the problem here? Thanks for responses.

* Baofeng BF-F8HP Repeater wont retransmit audio

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'd put good money on the TX radio is desensing the RX radio. You need either a duplexer or lots of separation between the radios.

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
I have tried about 30 feet of separation between the radios using a 3.5 mm extension cable but the same problems. Others were able to cover miles with about 6 ft separation.

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
frequencies are uhf with offset of 10.00mhz. power is 8 watts for transmit. what duplexer should i buy for this?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
First off in UHF you should be a 5 Mhz split and not 10. Any basic duplexer will be better than none. At 8 watts in expect about 4 out depending on the unit. The one you posted would work fine once tuned properly for the frequencies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
frequencies are uhf with offset of 10.00mhz. power is 8 watts for transmit. what duplexer should i buy for this?

As another poster posted, in the USA the UHF offset is mostly 5 MHz (3 in some parts of the band). I can't think of anywhere it's 10 MHz.

Is this a licensed Part 90 frequency, GMRS, ham? (or is it another country).

ecps92

Many foreign Countries use 10 Mhz, and others I've found using 7 Mhz

Makes for fun times tracking interference when they bring their own equipment to the US of A :lol:

Found a repeater on 469.6250 one time with 462.6250 as the input.
So imagine a Valid GMRS user on 467.6250 into his own Repeater of 462.6250
which now happens to have another Repeater using 462.6250 as the input to 469.6250
so now we have transitioned from GMRS to Business Band and the final hop is
469.6250 is a US input to the 464.6250 Repeater (Ouch)

To the OP , update your profile so we can properly format the response, based on your Location :cool:
As another poster posted, in the USA the UHF offset is mostly 5 MHz (3 in some parts of the band). I can't think of anywhere it's 10 MHz.

ecps92

Cruise ships are generally 10 Mhz (Non US) and/or 10.25 Mhz (Foreign) offsets
The 10.25 Mhz are also known as the Fast Food Pairs

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
Hey the offset is actually 5 MHz my mistake. I got them confused with something else. This is a backup for our primary Motorola repeaters. Does anyone know of a another duplexer that is good and reliable if that one I posted is not?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Ok. Now you need to explain what your trying to do. Is this a public safety system ? If it is stop now and dont go further. If this is a fun experiment for a mall cleaning crew it takes on an entire different meaning than public safety.

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
Ok. Now you need to explain what your trying to do. Is this a public safety system ? If it is stop now and dont go further. If this is a fun experiment for a mall cleaning crew it takes on an entire different meaning than public safety.

No it wont be used for neither of those jobs.

16b

Premium Subscriber
A simple test that you can perform to determine if it is desense.

1) Disconnect the repeater controller from the two radios, but leave both of them set up with the same separation, same frequencies, etc.
2) Have someone go a block away and transmit on the repeater input. Make sure you can hear him on the receive radio.
3) While the person is still transmitting, have someone manually press the PTT on the repeater transmit radio. Did the signal from the person a block away get really weak or go away completely? Does it get better again as soon as the repeater transmitter is unkeyed? If so, the problem is desense.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to consider is the duty cycle of the transmitting (the output) radio.

Baofeng doesn't publish duty cycles, but consider that even with light use, the radio may transmitting solidly at 8 Watts for periods of over 1/2 and hour with only the odd quick break when the parties turn over the conversation.

Here's a YouTube video describing how a UV-5R display was damaged due to excessive transmit time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOa5Y51pmk

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
A simple test that you can perform to determine if it is desense.

1) Disconnect the repeater controller from the two radios, but leave both of them set up with the same separation, same frequencies, etc.
2) Have someone go a block away and transmit on the repeater input. Make sure you can hear him on the receive radio.
3) While the person is still transmitting, have someone manually press the PTT on the repeater transmit radio. Did the signal from the person a block away get really weak or go away completely? Does it get better again as soon as the repeater transmitter is unkeyed? If so, the problem is desense.

I will give the desense experiment a try this weekend and come back with and update.

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
Another thing to consider is the duty cycle of the transmitting (the output) radio.

Baofeng doesn't publish duty cycles, but consider that even with light use, the radio may transmitting solidly at 8 Watts for periods of over 1/2 and hour with only the odd quick break when the parties turn over the conversation.

Here's a YouTube video describing how a UV-5R display was damaged due to excessive transmit time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOa5Y51pmk

Not to concerned about that. This is more for a roll call, and short update broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.