Kirtland Air Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Here's the official page for the airshow:

Kirtland Air Force Base - Air Show

Among the permitted/prohibited items, there's no mention of any type of radios.

I'm not taking mine for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm going to have my camera with me and I don't want the extra "baggage and 2) Security Forces can get get cranky really quick especially when they encounter something that wasn't in their briefing.

SCPD

QRT
Regarding radios most of the time scanners are permitted when used for air show monitoring. I recall reading a few air shows I been to about it. If in question you can always call. Seen that the thunder birds will not be going due to the crash in Colorado during the graduation ceremony.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Airboss: 134.8 (Has a terrible radio!)
Groundboss: 124.4
Discrete: 123.475

Last edited:

TRGNM

Great shows despite the main attraction being grounded in CO. The FA-18 show on Saturday was canceled due to lightning in a weather cell to the east that moved in quickly. But they got to light it up day and it was awesome!

I have several hand held scanners in my arsenal a few of them very high end. I wasn't crazy about the idea of bringing an expensive scanner to the show. I Decided to give my sub $100 BC125XLT a shot since everyone says they are great on the air bands. It performed admirably. Lightweight (only 2 AA batteries), sensitive receiver and the "close call" function came in handy a few times. I'm sure the Watson W-901 helped a bit too.

My only complaint was that it was freaking HOT! But hey, its New Mexico in the summer. I just hope I don't have to wait another five years for the next show.

Status
Not open for further replies.