Streaming USCG and DNR

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

Would anyone be capable/willing to stream CG VHF channels as well as DNR in the plain.(155.115) so many of us could monitor the bay activities?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Streaming Federal Government Communications is Prohibited.

On Broadcastify yes, it is officially prohibited to stream Fed freqs/trs's.... That said, however, the maritime freqs are kinda iffy. Since the USCG info freqs are common and advised to be in all maritime radio set ups for boater safety purposes. I would ask the feed admins for clarification on them. Now if your feeding thru an private website, or ProScan, then your on your own as to what you can feed. Just be advised that on the USCG LMR freqs, they can turn on encryption at any time, so feeding them is an "at your own risk" exercise.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Would anyone be capable/willing to stream CG VHF channels as well as DNR in the plain.(155.115) so many of us could monitor the bay activities?
I wouldn't. That sort of monitoring needs to be kept to yourself, since it's federal. 73, n9zas

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Streaming Federal Government Communications is Prohibited.

If going by that logic then everyone that is streaming a NOAA Weather broadcast station should be shut down, as it is federal government communications!!!!

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
If going by that logic then everyone that is streaming a NOAA Weather broadcast station should be shut down, as it is federal government communications!!!!
No, there's a BIG difference. Noaa broadcasts are for the General Public. Uscg broadcasts are NOT, unless they're nautical advisories on Ch.16 Which are primarily intended for Mariners. :wink: 73, n9zas

baybum

You ever listen to Ch. 68 in the bay? Nothing official going on there. That's kind of like the CB of marine VHF. Marine advisories are broadcast on Ch 22. Lookouts for distressed boaters and other emergency info are broadcast on Ch. 16. These are broadcast to the public for their benefit, and to assist the CG.
There should be nothing wrong with streaming those channels intended for public monitoring.
There's also nothing wrong with streaming NRP 155.115, as it is like any other state or local police agency.

ecps92

the likely confusion is your statement of CG VHF

if this is the CG Assigned VHF Marine Channels or the CG LMR then RR policy appears to be NO

if this is the VHF Marine, which are the Public channels, 16, etc then likely it could be

The key word to say NO was your use of "CG" :cool:

You ever listen to Ch. 68 in the bay? Nothing official going on there. That's kind of like the CB of marine VHF. Marine advisories are broadcast on Ch 22. Lookouts for distressed boaters and other emergency info are broadcast on Ch. 16. These are broadcast to the public for their benefit, and to assist the CG.
There should be nothing wrong with streaming those channels intended for public monitoring.
There's also nothing wrong with streaming NRP 155.115, as it is like any other state or local police agency.

gewecke

Banned
You're right, I forgot they do switch over to Ch.22 after their initial announcement on Ch.16. I'm a long ways from any major waterway, but I can hear the USCG station in Keokuk, Ia. I think any freq. where the cg might have traffic of their own, such as cutters or SAR traffic would probably be prohibited from streaming. :wink: 73, n9zas

KI4SXZ

Getting back to the original question (since maritime freqs are mostly governed internationally and are not federal freqs, except for a select few and dnr are state forest cops, so no diff then streaming state or local police). The trouble with streaming maritime channels is that it is a lot of line of sight propagation. You would probably be just getting a number of one way conversations. Whenever I am over by the bay or OC, thats what I find alot of. I hear the CG broadcasts clear but any ship to ship, even just hailing is very limited. If your really interested, your best bet would be to hook up with a marina and see if they are able to help you/you help them with that endeavor. Good luck.

bpittman

NOAA is one way comms and intended for public listening. I would think marine channel 16 would be permissible since that also is intended for public use. Also comms used in emergency towing services like Sea Tow might be permissible for streaming. But, check the legal ins and outs. Never know.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
No, there's a BIG difference. Noaa broadcasts are for the General Public. Uscg broadcasts are NOT, unless they're nautical advisories on Ch.16 Which are primarily intended for Mariners. :wink: 73, n9zas

We can call it what you like, but it is still Federal Government Communications!

baybum

OK, let me put it this way...A lot of scanners have pre-programmed search banks. One of those banks is "Marine". If anyone in the Annapolis/Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay area is willing to stream that bank or the frequencies in that bank, it would be nice to listen to from home or work.

Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.