Internet slow through router

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc2142

Feed Provider
I had to get a new Router as my old one decided it wasn't going to work anymore,The new one is a Belkin N300(Up to 300 Mbps). If im plugged into the modem directly im getting 90-100 Mbps. When going through the Router, Im getting 30-50 Mbps. Anyone know what the issue is?

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I had to get a new Router as my old one decided it wasn't going to work anymore,The new one is a Belkin N300(Up to 300 Mbps). If im plugged into the modem directly im getting 90-100 Mbps. When going through the Router, Im getting 30-50 Mbps. Anyone know what the issue is?

I have been through many routers over the last three years.

Prior to that I had an old WRT54G that worked flawlessly for many years.

Nowadays you get what you pay for. Want high performance? Open your wallet up a bit.

I have two routers right now and both of them work awesome without issue:

Linksys WRT1200AC AC1200 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router (with DD-WRT installed)
RouterBoard.com : RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Both routers will serve you without ever having to worry about them.

BEWARE: Routerboard (MikroTik) is not for the faint of heart but will work none stop for years on end without ever having to worry about it.

daugherh

Be sure that in your router settings you don't have any type of bandwidth limiter set, and if so turn it off.

Also, be sure any type of QoS, unless needed, is off.

And you say plugged into modem, but just say through router in your post. Are you plugging into the router via CAT ethernet cable or using WiFi. If WiFi, sometimes drivers on NICs don't play well and you will lose some speed due to overhead. If you are plugged into the router, try a different port and see if that makes a change.

Kb2Jpd

You didn't state how you are running the router, G N N+. The 2.4 GHz band is a band with no restrictions so everything is on there including Microwave ovens RF toys and Bluetooth. Try running the router on 5 GHz and 40 Mhz spread. Use the highest number 5 GHz channels.

Most 5 GHz transmitter in WiFi are short distance and almost same floor capability.

I use the Apple wifi routers on my personal network and they work flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.