Monitoring OSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Good morning and happy memorial day to all! I have a question regarding monitoring OSP. Either it changed or I'm not understanding how dispatch works and listening to towers.

In my area, I listen to district 8. Hamilton County, Clermont County, etc. I usually hear the traffic go over the county's radio towers. For example, I hear the Cincinnati post and Batavia post transmit over "Clermont County" tower (which is a simulcast system under MARCS-IP). Can anyone explain this to me? And which towers would you suggest I program in to my scanner? I try to listen to all posts in District 8. I apologize if this has been asked or has been discussed before. I just couldn't find anything. Thank you

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mmartinfan

Banned
Roaming. OSP might have roaming ability onto the Clermont County sites for better coverage in those hilly areas.

I would suggest programming all the Clermont County sites along with the MARCS IP sites.

Jester519

I also monitor both Clermont and Hamilton County. I always had a hard time receiving Hamilton County, but since the switch over to MARCS IP, even Clermont County is extremely difficult to pick up now. The traffic comes through, but it's not very clear. There's plenty of broken and garbled radio traffic. It happens with OSP, as well as the local and county agencies. I'm still using my Radio Shack Pro 96. I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or not. It seems like the same thing happens with my Pro 651 as well though.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I also monitor both Clermont and Hamilton County. I always had a hard time receiving Hamilton County, but since the switch over to MARCS IP, even Clermont County is extremely difficult to pick up now. The traffic comes through, but it's not very clear. There's plenty of broken and garbled radio traffic. It happens with OSP, as well as the local and county agencies. I'm still using my Radio Shack Pro 96. I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or not. It seems like the same thing happens with my Pro 651 as well though.

99% likely you're getting simulcast distortion.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber

I don't have an issue listening. Everything is pretty much clear on my 436hp. I'm just trying to figure out if the best thing to make sure I hear all traffic is to put in all towers in the area or not. Because I also heard Post 9 (Hamilton) transmit on Butler County simulcast. That's the part I don't understand.. especially when I don't really hear any traffic on plain old MARCS-IP towers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.