• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR Repeater on GMRS! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I cannot believe this. There is a repeater owner in NJ who is planning to set up a DMR repeater on 462.725...

http://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=2197
https://twitter.com/JCRepeater2

Of course, he seems a bit confused since he keeps referring to it as DMR and P25... It can be one or the other, but certainly not both!

It is totally illegal of course, but you can't tell some folks the truth. They simply won't believe you.

Hatchett

I cannot believe this. There is a repeater owner in NJ who is planning to set up a DMR repeater on 462.725...

http://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=2197
https://twitter.com/JCRepeater2

Of course, he seems a bit confused since he keeps referring to it as DMR and P25... It can be one or the other, but certainly not both!

It is totally illegal of course, but you can't tell some folks the truth. They simply won't believe you.

I think he is setting up a P25 AND a DMR repeater. That would mean that he is going to have a total of three repeaters on the air. Analog, DMR, and P25

If you think this is bad, you better hold on to your hat. It’s just going to get more chaotic (interesting) as time goes on.

As the old saying goes… “You ain’t seen nothing yet!!”

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wouldn't worry too much, he probably doesn't have the technical skills to know the diference between rabbit turds and rice krispies. If he does then simply take him off the air.... or let the feds do it? :lol: 73, n9zas

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I think the FCC should allow digital modes like DMR, P25, NXDN on GMRS. It's a great way to keep the undesirables off your machine. Even if some of these clowns figure out how to program a digital radio you have other options to keep them off for good. There are already a couple of repeaters on the air in NJ on DMR. Unknown to most because they're not blabbed all over sites like mygmrs and other places.

K2RNI

I think the FCC should allow digital modes like DMR, P25, NXDN on GMRS. It's a great way to keep the undesirables off your machine. Even if some of these clowns figure out how to program a digital radio you have other options to keep them off for good. There are already a couple of repeaters on the air in NJ on DMR. Unknown to most because they're not blabbed all over sites like mygmrs and other places.

That's true, I remember that one story about the DMR repeater in Canada that had people going wild on it so they switched it to P25. Kinda sad seeing the insanity on a lot of GMRS repeaters. It's a good frequency and what got me started and excited about the radios. Sucks you got all sorts of people trying to make it near useless nowadays.

We were able to talk all over Orange County and a lot of SoCal on GMRS even through all the masses of concrete and metal buildings. HT coverage was amazing too.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
News to me as well. There's only a few P25 repeaters in Canada and they've all existed well before DMR became a reality.

bharvey2

I was preparing for a trip to the midwest last year and was updating my list of both ham and GMRS repeaters in my destination area. While searching, I found that there were a number of GMRS repeaters that claimed to be DMR. - Not sure if they are still there.

K2RNI

What repeater are you talking about? I never heard this story.

News to me as well. There's only a few P25 repeaters in Canada and they've all existed well before DMR became a reality.

I don't really know the story, it was just remember it posted all over the facebook and some amateur blogs and there was a couple videos on the Youtube. Looks like all of the blog posts and vids were removed. This was all that was left that I could find left. The rest are angry blogs.

https://www.hamsexy.com/cms/?p=1353

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
So report them to the MyGMRS mods and they'll delete the entries.

There is someone in the south who has a 8 or 9 site system on IPSC. Nothing new...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
The FCC should allow DMR modes on GMRS repeaters. Much more efficient use of the GMRS band. Would not be surprised if the FCC steals some of the frequencies for other uses at some point leaving less spectrum for FRS / GMRS operations. One question is would encryption be allowed if the user wants to go "secure"?. Otherwise the DMR GMRS repeater would be left open for either free or paid access to it and no encryption allowed since the users need to ID every 15 minutes or so. DMR on GMRS would be great, clearer audio, 2 time slots and maybe allow repeaters to be linked via the Internet.

At this moment we can just dream about it for now....

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't really know the story, it was just remember it posted all over the facebook and some amateur blogs and there was a couple videos on the Youtube. Looks like all of the blog posts and vids were removed. This was all that was left that I could find left. The rest are angry blogs.

https://www.hamsexy.com/cms/?p=1353

While TWR is the subject of frequent jamming, I'm sure they've never had a DMR or P25 repeater on the air.

K2RNI

So report them to the MyGMRS mods and they'll delete the entries.

There is someone in the south who has a 8 or 9 site system on IPSC. Nothing new...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I reported some a couple times a few years back and they're still there.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing digital emissions on at least three of the assigned GMRS frequencies on and off this afternoon here in the Midwest.
it's not DMR or P25 though. Possibly D-Star judging by the sound. I don't have an easy way to record a sample and upload it here but I will if it continues again into the weekend.
The signal levels appear to be falling off now that the sun is moving towards sunset.

It appears to just be good conditions the way the signals come and go.
Also heard a couple local GMRS repeater users comment on it as one of the frequencies it is heard on is a GMRS repeater in Illinois. Those users reported hearing it while running simplex without their repeater on GMRS4.

I don't have DSD running so can't tell the format but it's not a common format that any of my digital scanner radios can decode. They would tell me something as the signal level is plenty when it comes in strong during maybe 20 minute periods before it starts dropping off below the noise floor again.

It sounds possibly like D-Star to my ear but I don't have a D-Star module in any of the rigs here that will tune the UHF band.

I can hear it with several different antennas as well as commercial radios down to cheapo wideband scanners. It does hop around the GMRS frequencies as the repeaters drop but no CC heard.
Mainly heard on 462.575 and 462.625 and occasionally on 462.600 but much less frequent. When heard on 462.600, it does have the same emission and average power levels as heard on the other two frequencies I listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.