Grundig S350DL MW/SW Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwh367

Unit worked great for a long time and suddenly the MW/SW reception went south.
I can still pick up MW stations in town but they're really weak. I had the same thing happen years ago with a Radio Shack shortwave radio. It was well known for blowing the FET on the front end, which rendered it deaf.

I've googled my problem, but haven't came up with any results, so I just wanted to see if anyone else ever had a similar problem. It's not completely useless right now though. The FM radio still works so I used the line out jacks to connect it to my TV sound bar. Actually sounds pretty good that way.

Boombox

You've tried exercising the bandswitch? Bandswitches can oxidise, develop minor problems.

I don't have a Grundig 350 but looking at a picture of the radio online it looks like the bandswitch is mechanical, and possibly uses internal slide switches.

They can be tricky and don't often age well, to put it bluntly.

GE Superadios have them and have been known to develop problems, and that's just with two bands.

So first suggestion is exercise the bandswitch, or -- if you can take the back off -- look inside and spray the bandswitch with DeOxit. See if that works.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.