BCD436HP/BCD536HP hangs on boot screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Both my 436 and 536 hang, freeze, stick, on the boot screen when powered up. On my 436, I must remove the batteries to get it to boot again past the boot screen. On the 536, I must physically disconnect it from power, as even turning the volume switch to off does not power down the scanner.

This is seriously annoying me, especially now that I am starting to play with them. Was planning on installing a fleet of these in a mobile vehicle console, but that is not a possibility if i cannot turn them on or off obviously. Is this a known issue, or part of that uniden repair campaign? Is there a fix for it? Will be moving to Whistler if this is not something that can be fixed, because it is not a problem that can be lived with in a busniess enviornment.

Should mention this was doing this on 1.10 f/w, and still does it on the new DMR f/w.

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Replace the SD card would be my first suggestion. They seldom live more than a year (more likely 6 months). I have to replace in my dashcam every 2 or 3 months.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I ordered up a pair of 80mb/s Sandisk Ultra microSD cards....my experience has been that the faster cards dramatically improve scanner usability, by making things as simple as turning FLs on and off much quicker. Crossing my fingers this solves the problem.

Paul

battleop

Replace the SD card would be my first suggestion. They seldom live more than a year (more likely 6 months). I have to replace in my dashcam every 2 or 3 months.

I see this issue about one in every 10-15 boots of my 436. It's not going to be related to the age of the card becaue it did It on the 3 or 4th boot of the Micro SD card. I did not experience this until I updated from the original firmware to the newest.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That is not good news.

UPman, if I install 536HP's in a vehicle radio console, with no access to the rear power jack, how do I "restart/reboot" the scanner if it locks up on power up? A 20 minute disassembly/reassembly of a radio console at 10PM as I start my news shift is obviously something that would preclude my station from upgrading to these newer Uniden scanners.........it would seem a serious issue. I tried popping out the SD card, and turn the power off, but it just locks in the powered up on boot screen message...... :-(

Paul Anderegg

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Do you have access to the fuse for the power circuit? If you can disconnect the fuse, it would be the same as disconnecting the power. (Fuses should be accessible).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Put an inline fuse or switch before the scanner. In fact, why doesn't it come with a power supply switch or fuse? Gosh.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I recently started having this issue myself on one of my 536's. I have mine installed in a console and I physically have to disconnect the battery to get it to power off. It's happened twice so far and very annoying.

FWIW it has happened both times after the vehicle it is installed in has been sitting for a week without being started.

bee

I have had the HP 1, about 4 years, the 536, about 2 years, and the HP 2, about 1 year. I have not had a problem with the SD cards.

I don't even know what an SD card is.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Where do I get a new SD card?

Pretty much any place that sells electronics or camera supplies. Be sure you get the MicroSD card, smaller than the typical card. They'll often come with adapters for the full size card, so you can use the computer card reader. I've found using the computer card reader speeds up the write process.

I got two SanDisk 32GB class 10 cards at Best Buy yesterday for about $15 each.

On the other question, an SD card is a storage device for data. They are used in many electronic devices such as cameras, ebook readers, etc. (The modern version of ancient floppy disks).

bee

Thanks. But in the manual for the 436, the 536, or the HP 2-- nothing is mentioned about replacing a SD card.

I don't understand.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can get on YouTube and do a search for the model you have and SD card (such as "Uniden 436 SD card"). I just watched several informative videos there.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. But in the manual for the 436, the 536, or the HP 2-- nothing is mentioned about replacing a SD card.

I don't understand.

Yea... that probably wasn't on the box. Or even the fine print. But their representative is suggesting replacing it might solve some problems. Though ridiculous, it's cheaper than returning the radio.

W6KRU

Yea... that probably wasn't on the box. Or even the fine print. But their representative is suggesting replacing it might solve some problems. Though ridiculous, it's cheaper than returning the radio.

The man that knows more about the scanner than anyone else makes a suggestion and you call it ridiculous? Okay. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It's a great tip. I agree worth trying. The ridiculous part is that it is not documented in their guides, supposedly, and that these devices are so fragile.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I really would like to hear back from UPman on how to restart the 536 once this occurs, if you cannott access the power plug.

Also, I can confirm that a fast card like a Sandusky Ultra 80mbs read microSD card speeds up scanner button presses a lot.....turning off record does as well. You shouldn't have to wait 3-4 seconds after selecting a FL and pressing enter.....the faster cards cut that delay to around a second.

Paul

RF23

Premium Subscriber

I don't understand.

There appears to be some information about SD cards on page 81 of the manual for the x36 radios. However, the table of contents in the manual references page 83 for some reason.

Hope this helps, but a video I think would be better IF it is done correctly, some of the UTube videos do not show the best way to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.