Airspy R2 Quality Control: Total Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I want to begin this by saying I've owned an airspy R1 for quite a while with good results. I've used it with Unitrunker and Trunking Recorder to monitor and log traffic on public safety systems.

Recently, I tried to help a friend of mine get a similar setup at his house. He ordered an airspy r2. The first one he received, from airspy.us, did not seem to work with UT. After some trial and error it appeared it was tuning off by about 2.5 khz. He sent it back for a refund and tried his luck with a second r2, new from a seller on ebay. This device had the same issue. It tuned off by about 2.5khz in the 800mhz band.

I broke down and offered to sell him my r1 and said I would worry about getting a replacement so he could get up and running. It works fine and he is plugging along.

I received my airspy r2 today, from itead and--guess what, it also tunes off by 2.5khz.

I've discussed this a bit with the device's creator Youssef via email several weeks ago and apparently there was (is?) a known issue with the factory and some devices. There is one factory and one QC team. I was under the impression this was resolved but that apparently is not the case.

uPrtHPk.jpg

This is the control channel for the system in my area. Note the correct frequency is entered but the tuning line is off.

In VHF the problem is visible but less prominent.
qCbqPvi.jpg

I'm going to talk with itead and get a return setup, but I want others to know that if you're buying one of these, especially for use with higher bands, it appears they are all broken.

tldr: 3 bad r2 models in about 20 days

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue with a repaired R1. I have been told that the problem seems to be bad TCXOs, but have yet to hear how they plan to resolve the issue.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Mine replacement is off by 2kc also. As long as I use SDR# I can use "OFFSET" and
enter -2000 but with HDSDR and FMP its bad news. What does Airspy.us have to say?

Mil

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Mine replacement is off by 2kc also. As long as I use SDR# I can use "OFFSET" and
enter -2000 but with HDSDR and FMP its bad news. What does Airspy.us have to say?

Mil

My recent purchase was from itead. I contacted Youssef (device creator) and itead both. Itead going to ship me a replacement that they will allegedly double check before mailing.

My major hang up is that I'm using it with Unitrunker and it does not have the ability to set an offset or ppm correction (nor should it). I'm not just putzing around the spectrum.

You should contact your dealer if you have a defective device and get it replaced (or try).

SCPD

QRT
AirSpy R0 = original AirSpy w/ micro-USB and Si5351 clock.
AirSpy R1 = AirSpy "Mini" w/ USB-A connector (no Si5351 clock).
AirSpy R2 = improved version of R0 also w/ micro-USB and Si5351 clock.

Both of my R0's run at close to 0.0 ppm so I've never needed to calibrate. That's also why I've not included a warp setting for the AirSpy in Unitrunker.

I can add such a setting. It would be most useful for folks that want to shave a few tenths of a PPM off their +/- 0.5 ppm device.

Software features aside, this is probably out-of-spec for the device. One of the great features of the AirSpy is ease of installation on Windows. Just plug it in, configure your software and go. No Zadig and (from my experience) no calibration.

airspy.us (which did not exist when I ordered my AirSpies) may want to consider testing their current stock.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
AirSpy R0 = original AirSpy w/ micro-USB and Si5351 clock.
AirSpy R1 = AirSpy "Mini" w/ USB-A connector (no Si5351 clock).
AirSpy R2 = improved version of R0 also w/ micro-USB and Si5351 clock.

Both of my R0's run at close to 0.0 ppm so I've never needed to calibrate. That's also why I've not included a warp setting for the AirSpy in Unitrunker.

I can add such a setting. It would be most useful for folks that want to shave a few tenths of a PPM off their +/- 0.5 ppm device.

Software features aside, this is probably out-of-spec for the device. One of the great features of the AirSpy is ease of installation on Windows. Just plug it in, configure your software and go. No Zadig and (from my experience) no calibration.

airspy.us (which did not exist when I ordered my AirSpies) may want to consider testing their current stock.

It's kind of you to reply.

I specifically did not request any changes to UT on your part because this is an issue of improperly calibrated and/or manufactured devices. Both airspy.us and itead have devices that suffer from this--which makes sense because there is only one factory involved. I'm not sure it would make sense for you to devote limited development resources to correcting a hardware problem.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Update: I was provided with a software tool that [apparently] can re-calibrate the device. Since then it seems to be working properly. If you are having trouble I suggest you contact the airspy folks and ask for it.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Good to see the utility. I will have to ask them as my R2 has an offset issue.

Interestingly the FunCube has a ppm adjustment at the device level that the Airspy R2 does not have. I am hoping the utility is similar in application to the FunCube.

I compared my FunCube and Airspy at three frequencies of 162.4 MHz, 462.425 MHz and 853.7874 MHz. With the FunCube ppm adjustment once set at the lower frequency it maintained accurate frequency display at the two higher frequencies.

I am looking forward to being able to do the same with the Airspy R2.

Mike

mancow

Database Admin
Update: I was provided with a software tool that [apparently] can re-calibrate the device. Since then it seems to be working properly. If you are having trouble I suggest you contact the airspy folks and ask for it.

It would be nice if they could post it somewhere. It would save lots of time. Is it an easy procedure or one that would likely cause more headache trying to instruct people how to use?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Mancow,
Check the main airspy website for the new rc9 firmware and calibration software. I have not tried the latest, but an earlier version addressed my issue.

Not sure if you will find it easy to use. I believe you will reach your goal. I only had a couple of false starts. ��

Mike

P.S. Link to rc9 broken. Latest published firmware rc8. Calibration only to be used with rc9 or later. I am wondering if rc9 is a typo and should be rc8. I used an earlier version of the calibrate utility on rc8 without issue. I am going to wait a couple of days to see what happens before I do anything.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Thanks for keeping us updated.

I was inquiring for a friend that bought one recently. Mine is one of the very first V1s so I don't have the issue. However, I am curious about the firmware as well. Should I upgrade firmware in my old one even though I don't have the tuning issue?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The following note is information about rc8 firmware. The way it is written makes me think R1 is skipped. In another post in this thread I recall someone briefly outlined the differences between them. R1 does not have a chip the other two have. Unless the update process has built-in checks I don't think I would try to update without getting information from the manufacturer that it was OK.

=========Copy & Paste=========
Note:
- This firmware support 10MSPS & experimental 2.5MSPS for AirSpy NOS R0/R2
- This firmware support 6MSPS & 3MSPS for AirSpy Mini

Stupidfatkid

I contacted Airspy.us earlier in the week and they advised to ship the unit back to them. They could fix the issue. I received an update from them last night stating a user solution would be available in the next few days. Not sure if they're referring to the same utility that's already been posted to airspy.com or not.
Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Airspy Tuner Misalignment Issue
To:

Update: There will be a user solution in the next few days.

---------
Airspy.US
Your USA source for quality SDR products!
www.Airspy.US

garys

Premium Subscriber
Airspy.US has helped me out tremendously. They shipped me a replacement calibrated unit that arrived today. It's dead bang on frequency. I'm sending my unit back in exchange.

They seem very concerned about this issue and have worked hard to resolve it.

slicerwizard

Doesn't everyone have an FRS radio? Probably only off by a kHz or so...

No ham neighbors?

You could always park next to the local NOAA repeater. Mind you, a 700, 800 or 900 MHz control channel would be a lot better.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't everyone have an FRS radio? Probably only off by a kHz or so...

No ham neighbors?

You could always park next to the local NOAA repeater. Mind you, a 700, 800 or 900 MHz control channel would be a lot better.

I have a few of those radios. I originally used a pretty decent 477mhz freq thats a few miles away and like I said, the lower and mid spectrum are mint but it starts to wander starting in 700's.

I would love to sit under an 800mhz tower but would it be a problem with any of the active voice freqs transmitting? Like interference? And where should the rf gain be set if I am that close to a tower?

I was asking because I thought I read somewhere you needed a signal generator. .

Found my tower lol.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.808...4!1sivzJbyhthBymrOca_wqdLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Something I'm not getting here.

"...park under a tower..."

I'm not understanding than?

IMHO... The key is a signal of known frequency and accuracy and modest strength.
I've used NOAA, a couple of the Dallas PD frequencies and the NETCO public service here in the area.

My expectations is that as licensed services they have to meet a level of accuracy good enough for my needs anyway.

Inject a known signal may imply a signal generator, but not necessarily.
Modest gain in your SDR so as not to overload it and coming in off the antenna for frequency correction is fine.
If trying to qualify sensitive of which there a different types then a calibrated signal generator of frequency (not so important) and output amplitude and selectable attention is important.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I would love to sit under an 800mhz tower but would it be a problem with any of the active voice freqs transmitting? Like interference? And where should the rf gain be set if I am that close to a tower?
I'd pick a time when the system isn't busy - like 3am. :)

You don't need any gain when you're right next to a tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.