Using Adapter vs jumper coax with connecters

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Rya

If you have seen some of my other posts you saw how I was having some static problems that should not be occurring and figured since I will be fixing it this weekend why not make sure everything is good. Anyways for example from my antenna to lmr-400 cable I use a N Male to UHF SO-239 adapter. My question is would buying a 1-2ft jumper coax with those connectors bring many quality to the system or is it a waste of money. I also use a BNC Male Plug to UHF SO239 adapter to connect the lmr-400 to the scanner and was going to buy a jumper coax instead with those connectors as I was noticing some strain to the scanner connector. Does anyone know of a good place who sells short thin coax cables with BNC Male to UHF SO239 connectors already installed?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is a very good idea.

Using a short jumper rather than an adapter will result in such little additional signal loss that you'd only be able to see it with test equipment.

Reducing strain on the radio connection would rate much higher in my book. In fact at any commercial radio site you'll see this. While LMR-400 is pretty stiff, things like Heliax hardline, LMR-600, etc. are all stiff enough to cause damage to connectors. It's standard practice to use short jumpers made up of more flexible cable to make these final connections. It'll protect your radio for mechanical stress on the connector.
You can do the same thing on the antenna side, also. Again, common on commercial installs.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/coaxial-cable-342/custom-made-cable-assemblies-344/ will have the custom adapter cables. I'd go with RG-58 or LMR-200 if I was in your shoes.

5Rya

This is a very good idea.

Using a short jumper rather than an adapter will result in such little additional signal loss that you'd only be able to see it with test equipment.

Reducing strain on the radio connection would rate much higher in my book. In fact at any commercial radio site you'll see this. While LMR-400 is pretty stiff, things like Heliax hardline, LMR-600, etc. are all stiff enough to cause damage to connectors. It's standard practice to use short jumpers made up of more flexible cable to make these final connections. It'll protect your radio for mechanical stress on the connector.
You can do the same thing on the antenna side, also. Again, common on commercial installs.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/coaxial-cable-342/custom-made-cable-assemblies-344/ will have the custom adapter cables. I'd go with RG-58 or LMR-200 if I was in your shoes.

I understand using a cable for the cable to the scanner but what would be the benefits of using one for antenna to cable?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On LMR-400 you may not need it.
On stiffer coax it helps making hooking the antenna up a bit easier. Also some antenna can flex a bit on the mount.

Again, LMR-400, maybe not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.