BCDx36HP DMR Preview 2 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This prerelease is provided under the same conditions as previous. Namely:

1) You must understand that this is not final firmware and is not intended to reflect 100% the form or quality of the final DMR firmware.

2) You must have purchased a DMR Key and you must use that key to activate the pre-release in order to use DMR features (if you participated in Preview 1, you do not need to re-enter the key).

3) The password for the payload has changed. Please re-read the readme file that is included in order to get to the good stuff.

4) The directions for applying the update (which is not done through Sentinel) are in the Readme file. As an aside, the Readme file is named that for a very peculiar reason...it is actually expected that you will read it. This is not like a warranty or software license that you normally just click past. Read every word of the Readme (even if you read it with the previous version). As a bonus, the readme also includes what was changed in this version.

Read this entire page: DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki.

Even if you have read it previously, before asking a question in this thread, read it again.

You might also want to scan or search the original discussion thread at http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/333329-discuss-dmr-upgrade-here.html to see if it answers a question for you. Caveat: Some things have changed.

If you are not a "power user," I do not recommend you use any pre-release version of any product. Wait for the public release.

Ok, is that enough disclaimer?

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade/BCDx36HP_DMR_Preview_2.zip

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Read the directions!

Before you gripe, read all the directions in post #1 here which tell you to read the text file that is in the ZIP archive. If it doesn't unzip, you didn't read all the directions. This "just works" on Windows 7.

Now to see this actually improves my reception. Side by side with a CS750 listening to the DMR ham repeater <2 miles away has the CS750 happily yakking away while the 436 sits there as if nothing is happening. :confused:

K4EET

Chaplain
UPMan,

Thanks very much for releasing a second preview so quickly. The first preview was awesome in what was found and I look forward to exploring the items that you mentioned were changed from the first pre-release. Thanks again!

73, Dave K4EET

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Sir!..
I have not once regretted purchasing this radio..The gift just keeps giving!

Oh, how I wish that were the case with me. I was sorely tempted to ditch my 436 when the BCD396P2 was announced. It's better now that the clock is fixed, the uSD card issues were solved, and the ProVoice was a nice bonus, but this is easily the most frustrating scanner I've owned in the 34 years I've had scanners (almost all Uniden or Electra). The DMR Beta isn't making me any happier given that decode is hit and miss at best, but at least with this we all know it's a Beta.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Very early report, the decoding seems better and the first time transmission doesn't appear to be getting cut off any more.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think it sounds better for me, but by the luck of the draw I was getting very few hits on my way home from work on my DMR freqs (and there aren't many at all near my house). There are still a small handful of sites where the radio operator sounds like he's talking through a pillow underwater, but I think that's either bad radio practice (eating the mic) or a poor system/poor radio.

What I'm interested to know is from people who put multiple frequencies in separate sites in one OFT system or even one Cap+ system (because it seemed to improve reception/decrease "hanging up" on a rest channel) - are you finding that we can go back to multiple freqs in a single site now?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm clearly still doing something wrong/different than others, as I can't get Radio/User IDs to display.

Programmed as follows:
1. DMR One Frequency
2. One system, with one site, with one frequency. I've tried both "Auto" and "1" for the color code (very familiar with this system, and it is CC1)
3. System Options, ID Search = On
4. Two departments are entered, each with common talkgroups.
5. No Unit IDs entered.

The attached video shows it landing on a TG which isn't one of my departments. It correctly displays the color code, timeslot and talkgroup. But no unit numbers.

Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/g4OfHQYSCzE

(note, this is the newest firmware, but it performs the same as the last version)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.