Getting started in SW Wake

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjb3589

Hi all,

Completely new to scanners, but I've been looking into getting one to monitor what's happening around me in SW Wake (primarily Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina police/fire). I understand that most towns in Wake County use the same system except for Cary.

I have a few questions:

1) What exactly is VIPER and how is that different than what Wake County uses?
2) Based on what I want to monitor, what would be some good scanners to look into that won't break the bank?
3) I used to live in Cary and know there was a big thing relatively recently where they started encrypting their police radios. It appears that Cary is only town (for now) in Wake County that encrypts their police, correct?
4) Any good newbie guides to scanners? Seems like there is a lot to learn :)

Thanks!

JRSpero

I also live in holly springs and provide the Wake Fire live feed. I also deal with all of our radios at a local fire department. I know this post is old but if you are interested in talking about systems and stuff let me know. Since you are providing the dispatch channel for Wake fire i may remove that from mine so it stops interrupting talkgroups.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I also live in holly springs and provide the Wake Fire live feed. I also deal with all of our radios at a local fire department. I know this post is old but if you are interested in talking about systems and stuff let me know. Since you are providing the dispatch channel for Wake fire i may remove that from mine so it stops interrupting talkgroups.

You do realize this thread is 2 years old brother? :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

JRSpero

I do! but he still lives near me and we are streaming some of the same things so I think there may be room for some improvement to provide a better feed that people can enjoy. I hate when i am trying to listen to something when not in range for a radio and it gets cut off for 20 sec for a dispatch. If he is streaming dispatches maybe ill remove them.

And how did you catch that so quickly? Radio reference Ninja!!!!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I do! but he still lives near me and we are streaming some of the same things so I think there may be room for some improvement to provide a better feed that people can enjoy. I hate when i am trying to listen to something when not in range for a radio and it gets cut off for 20 sec for a dispatch. If he is streaming dispatches maybe ill remove them.

10-4

And how did you catch that so quickly? Radio reference Ninja!!!!

:cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

N8IAA

Plus, since he hasn't been on since that post in June of 2016...:confused:
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.