99.7 FM Portuguese language mystery station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

I've been listening to an FM station in my car when I'm driving to work around 5am. It's on 99.7 and it comes in pretty good in Eastern Union County. It's gone during the daytime hours so I'm assuming nighttime operations. It's entirely in Portuguese and the accent is most likely from Portugual vs. Brazil. I've heard the word Euros mentioned but never any mention of any nearby cities, so it could be something being relayed from Portugal. I've checked the FCC database and there is no mention of anything on 99.7 in our area. I was thinking maybe a translator, or low power station, but again no FCC mention. Maybe a pirate station?

I've been listening to an FM station in my car when I'm driving to work around 5am. It's on 99.7 and it comes in pretty good in Eastern Union County. It's gone during the daytime hours so I'm assuming nighttime operations. It's entirely in Portuguese and the accent is most likely from Portugual vs. Brazil. I've heard the word Euros mentioned but never any mention of any nearby cities, so it could be something being relayed from Portugal. I've checked the FCC database and there is no mention of anything on 99.7 in our area. I was thinking maybe a translator, or low power station, but again no FCC mention. Maybe a pirate station?

There's a concentration of Portuguese people around Elizabeth/Linden. When I was still living in NJ, maybe 24 years ago, an old GF and I used to frequent a few Portuguese restaurants and clubs around Rt. 9, so I can kind of see that.

Check out https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-query. If it's not in there...

The other possibility is that it's a satellite radio to FM converter that someone has set up on that frequency.

ecps92

Could also be a Pirate. :D Not that anyone would run an illegal FM Radio station :roll:
There's a concentration of Portuguese people around Elizabeth/Linden. When I was still living in NJ, maybe 24 years ago, an old GF and I used to frequent a few Portuguese restaurants and clubs around Rt. 9, so I can kind of see that.

Check out https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-query. If it's not in there...

The other possibility is that it's a satellite radio to FM converter that someone has set up on that frequency.

Moose

Ok, thanks everyone. I did check the above mentioned websites but there is no mention of that frequency for this area so I am assuming it is clandestine.

ansky

It's most likely a pirate station. I live in Essex County and practically every available FM frequency around here has a pirate operating on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.