• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Please help me identify this Old Motorola Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daru

Hi, I am new to this website and in desperate need of some help to identify an Old Motorola Unit. So far, no one has been able to give a name.

I am not sure if and how I can upload photo's on this page but the plaque on the rear of the unit reads:

MOTOROLA

Model No: SA-7
Serial No: 3208

Hope that is correct, numbers a bit unclear.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 985
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 985
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 988

Daru

It appears that the image size for posting is limited. If you could provide me with your email, i would be happy to send some high Res pics.

petnrdx

Judging by the tuning coil in the right lower corner of the second photo, it looks like a six freq HF radio.
Lots of the early HF AM marine band radios looked just like that.
I think AM marine went SSB in the early mid '70's.
Maybe marine shore station from long ago.

Daru

Any estimate on what it might be worth in a working, and nonworking condition? How collectable is it?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Any estimate on what it might be worth in a working, and nonworking condition? How collectable is it?

Given that an exhaustive Google search over about three hours turned up zero clues or even images (aside from those here), I'd have to submit that it's probably not very "collectable" in any condition. :wink:

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
...or that it's extremely rare and worth a great deal to the right collector ;)

Daru

So far, on multiple forums and sites, no one has been able to give me an exact identification. One guy made a comment and said it looks homebred, but to me it looks like a unit with matching internals and not something that has been frankensteined. I was hoping that it would be a collectable and worth something. But if it's not really something special, then I will try and find an expert to restore it, and donate it to some kid that is enthusiastic about amateur radio, but who doesn't have the funds for such hobby.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
If it turns out to be a HF marine type radio you may want to contact "radiomarine.org" They are a
website specializing in historic marine radio stations, radios, etc. They may be interested in it or
have some information. I think Petnrdx has it right. Looks like a tapped coil for 6 HF frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you can find the crystals and post their frequencies, it'd help narrow this down pretty well.
I came to the same conclusion as others, it's a 6 channel HF radio.

Daru

Where do I look for crystal frequencies? Sorry, I have no knowledge of radios. Are the crystals those black boxes on the bottom tray? Anything also I should look for? Point of note, below the metal plate with the holes (top tray, front middle) are what looks like glass bulbs, or type of tubes.

Daru

Okay, these seems to be it, there are a cluster of 3 labeled K1, K2, K3, en one that is way in the back of the tray.

Attachments

• DSC_0211.jpg
    DSC_0211.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 377

Daru

The glass bulbs beneath the metal plate.

Attachments

• DSC_0213.jpg
    DSC_0213.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 404

Daru

The smaller unit that sits to the left of the cluster

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 387

Daru

This is the 4th one that is way left rear in the tray

Attachments

• DSC_0219.jpg
    DSC_0219.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 380

Daru

These 3 pics are of the units and meter middle rear on the tray

Attachments

• DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 387

Daru

The previous owner scratched this onto a plat on the tray: K1 = Rx/Tx, K2 = AM/SSB, K3 = USB/LSB

Status
Not open for further replies.