UP RR Roseville Sub - Reno -Donner Pass PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

markclark

Premium Subscriber

Do any members ever hear PBX activity? I never hear traffic an the PBX channels in this area. Thanks for any info regarding recent confirmed activity.

kma371

QRT

Do any members ever hear PBX activity? I never hear traffic an the PBX channels in this area. Thanks for any info regarding recent confirmed activity.

I haven't heard any PBX activity in years in Northern California/Central Valley.

jimvm

Maybe a PBX ?

Every morning I hear a dialtone, touchtones and busy signals on the CFNR road channel.

There is a repeater output on 161.385 MHz. Northern California.

jim vm

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Every morning I hear a dialtone, touchtones and busy signals on the CFNR road channel.

There is a repeater output on 161.385 MHz. Northern California.

jim vm

There is a telephone interconnect hooked to a control base in Woodland. Allows contact to dispatch in Washington state. Repeater is on Sutter Buttes. There is also a second setup at Napa Junction to the repeater on Sugarloaf but is used less often. You should hear more than busy signals as this is the way they receive their track warrants.

yaesu_dave

In Northern Utah (Ogden), the UP PBX channels 160.290 and 160.605 used to be humming with activity day and night for both the Ogden and Lakeside subdivisions. It's probably been at least 5 years since I've heard any activity on either frequency, and even the old Denver & Rio Grande Western PBX channel 160.950 has gone silent. I keep all the PBX channels programmed into my scanners just in case they become active again, but apparently there's very few areas where cell phones don't have coverage between Ogden and Elko, NV.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
UP maintained two PBX systems. One was for MOW use and the other was known as Exec (Executive). The Exec one has been shut down systemwide and most of the MOW ones have been turned down due to cellphones being much more reliable.

MOW one still exists in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada due to remoteness of many areas where they operate. All the systems still exist in the systemwide programming template so there may be a few random spots that has a working machine.

Mostly, as the older guys left - codes to access the system haven't been passed down or forgotten and its not published in the timetables. Essentially you need to find a radio maintainer to get the access codes to use it.

I use to drive across NV, and the last time I took a border to border trip was in 2008 or 2009, and I did hear it used to get train lineups several times.

Some smaller lines have an interconnect to the dispatcher to receive track authorities etc, as mentioned above. I can't recall the name off hand, but I know of a Kansas railroad does this as well as a couple in the northeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.