Ottawa Police and P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioEh

Is anyone successfully listening to Ottawa Police on the new P25 system? If so, can you provide any scanner recommendations and a point to programming info? Thanks!

marcc

Ottawa Police is not Encrypted

Ottawa Police uses Provoice, I listen to them with the Uniden BCD536HP with the ProVoice upgrade. Some of the Surveillance channels may be encrypted, but not dispatch. RCMP is Encrypted. OPP use P25.

marcc

Ottawa Police

P25 isn't necessarily encrypted. Ontario Provincial Police use P25, and can I listen to the dispatch channels. Maybe this "new" P25 system you are referring to is encrypted, but according to the RR database, Ottawa Police use Pro-Voice not P25. When I'm listening to the OPP, the scanner indicates the channel is P25, and when listening to the Ottawa Police, the scanner is indicating Pro-Voice. Cheers!

slicerwizard

P25 isn't necessarily encrypted. Ontario Provincial Police use P25, and can I listen to the dispatch channels. Maybe this "new" P25 system you are referring to is encrypted, but according to the RR database, Ottawa Police use Pro-Voice not P25. When I'm listening to the OPP, the scanner indicates the channel is P25, and when listening to the Ottawa Police, the scanner is indicating Pro-Voice. Cheers!
You're not helping.

OPP use several old Motorola SmartZone systems, not any P25 systems.

The old Ottawa PD EDACS system is not the new P25 system the OP is asking about. Encryption has been seen on the new P25 system, so enjoy your listening while you can.

All of this information is in the RR database.

marcc

OPP uses P25

OPP in my area are on Bell Fleetnet Zone 2 which uses both Motorola Type II and Apco Project 25 according to the RR database, and P25 is what is indicated on my scanner when listening to the OPP. As far as the original post, you're right I can't help, I'm not aware of any Ottawa Police communications using the P25 system, and the RR database doesn't indicate any either. Regards,

DaveH

Encryption has been seen on the new P25 system, so enjoy your listening while you can.

All of this information is in the RR database.

Ottawa Public Safety (Project 25) Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Nobody's ID'ed much on the new system so you won't see OPS listed, but they are in transition.
Possibly 3xxx TGs. Some police vehicles have had their usual loaded 800MHz whip replaced with black quarter-wave, a sign that the radio may have also been replaced.

Dave

slicerwizard

OPP in my area are on Bell Fleetnet Zone 2 which uses both Motorola Type II and Apco Project 25 according to the RR database, and P25 is what is indicated on my scanner when listening to the OPP.
We all know what systems the OPP use and they're not P25 systems. They're older Type II SmartZone systems with a few encrypted users. This thread is about the Ottawa police on their new, real P25 system. It's not about the OPP and it's not about Ottawa PD on their old system. Virtually all of these new P25 PS systems are set up with full time encryption for the PD members. Many even encrypt FD. So what's your point again?

derevs

Somebody had better get their info straight. OPP are P25 digital in all areas.
ProScan logs OPP transmissions as P25.

terryg1

@derevs slicerwizard is correct - OPP is not a P25 system. Don't be confused with a P25 system and SmartZone that uses P25 C4FM for voice only. Two completely different systems.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Somebody had better get their info straight. OPP are P25 digital in all areas.

ProScan logs OPP transmissions as P25.

Slicerwizard IS correct. Bell Fleetnet in Ontario is comprised of 3 Motorola Type 2 Smartzone trunk systems. The control channel is 3600bps. They are mixed mode. Some users are analogue some(OPP for example) are digital. The digital users use P25 CAI. This is NOT to be mixed up with a 9600bps control channel Project 25 trunk system, which carries ONLY digital voice. Sheesh.

OttawaBob

Premium Subscriber
In summary, as the final current agencies currently on the City's EDACS system move over the the P25 system, you will not be able to monitor the communications using conventional methods.

Please correct me if I am wrong...

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
In summary, as the final current agencies currently on the City's EDACS system move over the the P25 system, you will not be able to monitor the communications using conventional methods.

Please correct me if I am wrong...

I've been able to listen with my 396T scanner...

Ottawa Public Safety (Project 25) Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Some talkgroups on this system are using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation which can ONLY be monitored using a P25 Phase II compatible scanner.

There's already a thread started here: http://forums.radioreference.com/ontario/304191-ottawa-p25.html

DaveH

I've been able to listen with my 396T scanner...

Some talkgroups on this system are using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation which can ONLY be monitored using a P25 Phase II compatible scanner.

There's already a thread started here: http://forums.radioreference.com/ontario/304191-ottawa-p25.html

I think the DB comment about Phase II may be premature. The system is capable, but I have yet to see/hear of any actual use of Phase II; unless someone knows specifically to the contrary.

Anything that's not ENC should be listenable.

Dave

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think the DB comment about Phase II may be premature. The system is capable, but I have yet to see/hear of any actual use of Phase II; unless someone knows specifically to the contrary.

This is true of a lot of Phase II systems in the RRDB. Just because it is pushing Phase II capabilities on the control channel does not mean that the system is using it. I have a system local to me which has some sites "technically" Phase II capable but the system has no plans to utilize it for the foreseeable future (on the order of years/decades down the road).

Status
Not open for further replies.