Firescope 2016 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Anyone know if Firescope will put out a updated frequency list this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colton25

I've been looking all over for any kind of 2016 updates, I haven't seen anything about CalFire updates for this year. Most recent thing I can find is the 2015 Firescope list. Does Firescope usually come out about the same time every year?

I haven't seen one yet, although I tend to get them about a week after release.

Updated CalFire frequency lists went out earlier in the spring.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The last CalFire update I received was back in mid-February. There often seems to be an early summer update and often a "September or so" update.

Not sure about FireScope. It usually comes to me from CalFire via the County Fire departments, I don't get it directly.

f40ph

Feed Provider
I've seen it but it wasn't "final".
Two new CalFire tacs 30 & 31 as already posted in the RR database. Curious that these are not in the FCC database (yet).
All CalFire tacs and air-ground freqs are CTCSS 192.8 now.
All VTAC freqs (including repeater pair output freqs) are now CTCSS 156.7
All federal freqs are redacted as per Federal policy of not releasing freqs to the general public. The Firescope listing shows Fed freq "names" only.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Any thoughts as to why that one and the new tacs are not licensed yet? Have we heard anyone using them yet? It's possible that they'll be in the radio load but NOT used until such time as the FCC says "ok".

...unless I'm just blind and missing them entirely...

Colton25

I seen the VTAC's on the RR page and I was confused at what I was reading. Is every VTAC supposed to be both direct and repeated or just direct? The way I read it direct using 156.7 and repeated using 136.5 on the TX side. If anyone has a source showing these specific changes I would love to read it.

I've seen it but it wasn't "final".
Two new CalFire tacs 30 & 31 as already posted in the RR database. Curious that these are not in the FCC database (yet).
All CalFire tacs and air-ground freqs are CTCSS 192.8 now.
All VTAC freqs (including repeater pair output freqs) are now CTCSS 156.7
All federal freqs are redacted as per Federal policy of not releasing freqs to the general public. The Firescope listing shows Fed freq "names" only.

f40ph

Feed Provider
There are four nationwide "tacs" 11-14. Someone later paired them together using 136.5 in various combinations to form repeater pairs in case a portable repeater was needed due to terrain, etc "VTAC33-38".

Side note: Using just one repeater pair kills TWO tac channels for the local area.

That said: In terms of monitoring these channels, due to the recent change to the repeater output CTCSS, you only need to monitor four freqs with 156.7 and you'll hear everything in the area (direct or repeat). Prior to this year, you'd need them programmed into your radio a second time with 136.5

KJ6HCB

Ive heard there should be the final 2016 release July 1.

We just found an error on Tac 15? I think it was in the current state load on a wildland exercise the end of May, so its still actively being finalized.

Ive also heard word that besides the BK standard fire radio loadout there will be an APX load that has increased # of channels.

Colton25

Wow I'm curious to know what all they would put in the APX load, obviously more then just VHF, I just wonder where they draw the line that enough is enough haha the possibilities are really endless.

Colton25

Looking at the 2015 Firescope they show 2 channels in the Cal Fire group 3 for Orange County Fire Authority what's the difference?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
There are four nationwide "tacs" 11-14. Someone later paired them together using 136.5 in various combinations to form repeater pairs in case a portable repeater was needed due to terrain, etc "VTAC33-38".

Side note: Using just one repeater pair kills TWO tac channels for the local area.

That said: In terms of monitoring these channels, due to the recent change to the repeater output CTCSS, you only need to monitor four freqs with 156.7 and you'll hear everything in the area (direct or repeat). Prior to this year, you'd need them programmed into your radio a second time with 136.5

That "someone" was the National Public Safety Telecommunications Council [http://www.npstc.org], a federation of 16 national or international public safety organizations. The purpose of the repeater pairing is to allow for portable repeaters in areas without infrastructure or without other means to obtain portable repeaters (think a SAR team in a wilderness, or in a hurricane - devastated area with no surviving local infrastructure and assistance coming in from out of the area).

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the 2015 Firescope they show 2 channels in the Cal Fire group 3 for Orange County Fire Authority what's the difference?

Orange County added a second VHF "Access" channel dedicated for fire use last year. It will allow them to be able to handle multiple incidents simultaneously.

Colton25

For some reason I couldn't locate it in the RR database

Mikerh91

Orange County added a second VHF "Access" channel dedicated for fire use last year. It will allow them to be able to handle multiple incidents simultaneously.

This is some what true......
OC ACC V is controlled by Control 1. This is an access channel for outside agencies (Fire or Law) to contact any agency in Orange County.

Fire OC is specific to the Orange County Fire Department for wildland fires or access to the Orange County Fire Department

Colton25

So Fire OC (VHF) is patched to OC fire dispatch, allowing you to monitor dispatch with a VHF radio? This brings up another question, can LACo patch there UHF dispatch to VHF? I know LACo assists Kern often so they must have a VHF deck but i'm not aware of many departments carrying a UHF deck.

This is some what true......
OC ACC V is controlled by Control 1. This is an access channel for outside agencies (Fire or Law) to contact any agency in Orange County.

Fire OC is specific to the Orange County Fire Department for wildland fires or access to the Orange County Fire Department

Last edited:

Mikerh91

I don't believe that it is patched to any 800 trunked channel. I believe that OC Fire can monitor it, but it is just a VHF command channel mainly for wildland fires.

f40ph

Feed Provider
I've heard FIRE OC patched to 800. I believe they patch to 800mhz "as needed" and am not sure if it is always the same TG.

As for LACo, they don't patch UHF to VHF. Their units have both 400 and VHF and use both when assisting Kern or San Bernardino Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.