BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Using both COM ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOUTH300

Is it possible to use both COM ports (Front and Rear) at the same time on the BCD996XT? I am using the front port to feed Talkgroup ID's into ScannerCast for RR, and wanted to use the rear port to control the scanner using FreeScan. I cannot connect to the rear port while the front port is in use, and I was wondering if I need to be looking at my setup, or is it just the scanner cannot do this? If it can't do you have any recommendations for this setup?

Thanks!
Oren

kibler

Feed Provider
All I can say right now is yes! You can use front and rear ports at same time?? I will have to think about my setup before I can tell you how I did mine??? I use the rear port w/serial cable for my Audio feed and my front port using USB with ProScan for logging or sending channel updates, etc to front port! Thanks!! as I get older I can't remember a lot of stuff that used to be simple to me!

kibler

Feed Provider
Is it possible to use both COM ports (Front and Rear) at the same time on the BCD996XT? I am using the front port to feed Talkgroup ID's into ScannerCast for RR, and wanted to use the rear port to control the scanner using FreeScan. I cannot connect to the rear port while the front port is in use, and I was wondering if I need to be looking at my setup, or is it just the scanner cannot do this? If it can't do you have any recommendations for this setup?

Thanks!
Oren
Each separate USB cable that you hooked up (Front & Rear) will have to be configured in your computer on a different COM port? It sounds like you need to install drivers for one of your cables to recognize a port to use and set the ports to 115200bps on both PC and your scanner! Thanks

Last edited:

SOUTH300

Each separate USB cable that you hooked up (Front & Rear) will have to be configured in your computer on a different COM port? It sounds like you need to install drivers for one of your cables to recognize a port to use and set the ports to 115200bps on both PC and your scanner! Thanks

Okay that is good to know. I have the front port running straight to the REAL com port (COM1) on the back of my PC. The rear serial port on the scanner is run using a USB to serial adapter. I installed the drivers and the computer recognizes it as COM4. Have all the BAUD settings set the same, just can't get it to communicate with the rear serial port on the scanner.

Maybe I will try to switch the cables around.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It won't work for firmware update, but should work for other applications.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Okay that is good to know. I have the front port running straight to the REAL com port (COM1) on the back of my PC. The rear serial port on the scanner is run using a USB to serial adapter. I installed the drivers and the computer recognizes it as COM4. Have all the BAUD settings set the same, just can't get it to communicate with the rear serial port on the scanner.

Maybe I will try to switch the cables around.

You need to use a null modem adapter or make up a crossover cable if using the rear port since that port doubles as the GPS interface.

That is pins 2 and 3 rolled.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
See Bob's reply, too.

Sidebar: One of the great things about posting in these forums instead of emailing me directly for an answer is that other people think of things that didn't immediately jump out at me (especially for things I seldom use). Of course, the other reason why posting in a forum is better than emailing me directly is that you'll get an answer (I delete such emails mostly unread and almost always unanswered).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
See Bob's reply, too.

Sidebar: One of the great things about posting in these forums instead of emailing me directly for an answer is that other people think of things that didn't immediately jump out at me (especially for things I seldom use). Of course, the other reason why posting in a forum is better than emailing me directly is that you'll get an answer (I delete such emails mostly unread and almost always unanswered).
Plus others get to learn things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.