• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VXR-7000 Repeater won't receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have a VXR-7000 repeater that I am wanting to use for GMRS. I have the programming cable, and software and have it programmed to my frequencies and CTCSS tones, ect. But for some reason the repeater won't receive anything.

Any ideas?

I have even tried just programming the repeater up as a standard base station on simplex and it still won't receive. It is a brand new unit. I did plug the mic into it and it does transmit just fine, it just wont receive.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Yes the duplexer has been tuned.

(I didn't even have the duplexer hooked to the repeater) i just turned it on and was programming it up. I haven't taken it to the repeater site yet.

I keyed up the repeater on a HT and it wouldn't receive anything.

I have another one of these VXR-7000's on the air (and has been for several years) and it works great.

Is this possibly a programming issue? Or a repeater issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
I will plug in the duplexer and try that. However, it is not even showing that it is receiving (green RX light isn't coming on when i key up on my HT)

And yes the repeater button is on.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Just tried it with the duplexer and its still not working.

Again, its not even tripping the receiver on, even if there was desence i would think it would at least show that it was receiving something.

And yes, i have quadruple checked... My HT is on the correct frequency pair.

dwh367

Recheck repeater programming (make sure TX is 5MHz up from RX and they are programmed in the correct fields in the software) make sure the CTCSS/DCS matches what is programmed into your HT, download repeater programming and make sure it matches what was uploaded, check coax cables for shorts.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Just checked all of that... It all checks out. Everything matches up.

I checked the internal coax cables, They are both good. (This is a brand new repeater)

I even went in and changed the programming to CSQ on the repeater and HT (to eliminate that it had anything to do with the CTCSS). I also programmed channel #2 as a simplex channel and set it up for base station operation. Again same story... It transmits perfectly, just wont receive.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Been there done that. That was the first thing I tried.

If I ever get it to work, any idea how to keep it set up on wideband (for GMRS) everytime I write the programming to the repeater it pops up a screen and tells me that it is post-2013 narrowbanding mandate, and I have the channel programmed as WIDE, so it will auto-revert to NARROW.

Any ideas on how to keep it on wideband?

dwh367

No idea. I've only programmed Icoms, as far as commercial equipment, and that was a long time ago. I was just going through the basics, that would be relevant to any type of modern analog UHF repeater, regardless of brand.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
I personally use Icom FR-4000's for my commercial stuff. They are rock solid.

A buddy of mine got this VXR-7000 for GMRS and wanted me to program it up (easier said than done). I can tell right off, they are very basic (compared to the Icom's), which is why I am surprised I can't get it to work.

mancow

Database Admin
We use them at work. They are usually rock solid. It sounds like a hardware failure.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Follow the factory instructions for alignment. Page 30 of your service manual instructs you to check the PLL VCV at test point near TC3001. What does the voltage read there?

If it's zero, then you have a bad RX board.

At J3001, you can connect a frequency counter and you should see a reading close to your center RX frequency.

Nothing? Way off?

Box it up and call Vertex for an RMA.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Been there done that. That was the first thing I tried.

If I ever get it to work, any idea how to keep it set up on wideband (for GMRS) everytime I write the programming to the repeater it pops up a screen and tells me that it is post-2013 narrowbanding mandate, and I have the channel programmed as WIDE, so it will auto-revert to NARROW.

Any ideas on how to keep it on wideband?

Change the date on the computer you are using to something in 2012. It will force narrowband when saving, you can change it once you open the codeplug before you program the repeater.

I have a couple of VX-231 I use for work, none of my work frequencies are +/-2.5KHz, they are all +/-5KHz, PITA work around, and it causes all kinds of errors when I go online if I forget to change the date back.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Change the date on the computer you are using to something in 2012. It will force narrowband when saving, you can change it once you open the codeplug before you program the repeater.

I have a couple of VX-231 I use for work, none of my work frequencies are +/-2.5KHz, they are all +/-5KHz, PITA work around, and it causes all kinds of errors when I go online if I forget to change the date back.

Tried that, It still wouldn't work. I set the date back to 7/16/2012, and it still popped up the 2013 narrowbanding mandate pop-up screen.

It's still not receiving so no reason to worry about wide anyway at this point.

I will be contacting Vertex this afternoon about the receive issue.

Last edited:

cdlale

Change your computer date to 2006. Don't change it with the programming software running or it wont work. Open the software and make your change and send it to the repeater. Dont forget to change your clock when your done or you will have problems accessing web pages. I have the VXR9000 and I was able program wide band that way.
Thanks
KF6ZOK
WQXD585

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Change your computer date to 2006. Don't change it with the programming software running or it wont work. Open the software and make your change and send it to the repeater. Dont forget to change your clock when your done or you will have problems accessing web pages. I have the VXR9000 and I was able program wide band that way.

Thanks

KF6ZOK

WQXD585

I will certainly try that.

I did get ahold of Vertex. They said it is likely a hardware issue preventing it from receiving. They sent me return form, and I am sending the unit in for repair.

As soon as it gets back I will try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.