Durham Next Gen question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcam406

so I have seen that some new talkgroups have been added.they have the designation of either "E","T"or "D".i know what the letters mean,so hence the question.since this is classified as a phase 2 system,wouldnt the "D" talkgroups be designated as "T",or are they in the clear,and can be heard with a phase 1 capable scanner?

SCPD

QRT
No because you can have a mix of phase 1 and 2 talkgroups on a phase 2 system, so D would mean phase 1 talkgroups and T would be phase 2.

The system is phase 2 capable but not entirely phase 2 only, like the GO transit system, trains are D or phase 1 but buses are T and phase 2

bigcam406

ok,thanks.i wasnt sure because i have tried listening to the tg's that were designated with the "D" and i havnt heard anything.......yet.thanks for the reply.

SCPD

QRT
ok,thanks.i wasnt sure because i have tried listening to the tg's that were designated with the "D" and i havnt heard anything.......yet.thanks for the reply.

I suspect one or more of the control channels is wrong or missing or a site or two are missing from the RR database, I can't get my scanner to lock on to anything from that system.

bigcam406

i can lock onto a couple of control channels,but im not hearing any talkgroups designated with a "D".so im assuming everything is phase 2.whoever submitting the info on talkgroups might be mistaken.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
I am picking up the pager and the dispatch channels for Clarington and Oshawa without any issues with my BCD536HP. But my BCD996XT will scan the system and the TG's will come up in search mode, but that is it. No voice will come up, even if the TG is D.

bigcam406

i pick up the Clarington pager on all my gear. the rest is silent on my PSR500/600,only hear encrypted comms in wildcard mode.hence is why im thinking the talkgroups that were designated with a D should be designated with a T,as they are phase 2.

SCPD

QRT
Do your scanners show that you have acquired the control channel on all three towers listed here?, I can only get it to lock on and show DAT on the east tower so I think maybe there might be some errors in the database.

When it locks onto the east tower I see the encrypted talkgroups flash but with no voice and the odd clear transmission on clear channels for works dept.

I know scanners are terrible on 700Mhz but there has got to be an error here, it doesn't pick up anything for me at all, I can get the Toronto system from Durham but not the Durham system from Durham.

mciupa

Do your scanners show that you have acquired the control channel on all three towers listed here?, I can only get it to lock on and show DAT on the east tower so I think maybe there might be some errors in the database.

When it locks onto the east tower I see the encrypted talkgroups flash but with no voice and the odd clear transmission on clear channels for works dept.

I know scanners are terrible on 700Mhz but there has got to be an error here, it doesn't pick up anything for me at all, I can get the Toronto system from Durham but not the Durham system from Durham.

It would be helpful to run Unitrunker or Pro96.com and view the channel listings on those programs.
Any discrepancies could be taken care of and see if your claim of database error is indeed true.

VE3RADIO

They switch back and forth depending on how busy the system is it appears.. sometimes DRPS is just phase 1 and sometimes they are phase 2.. however they are always 100% encrypted. Fire is pretty much 100% phase 2 except for the off time a tac channel switch back to phase 1.. still encrypted tho :(

bigcam406

i can lock on to the south and east tower.like VE3RADIO stated,it seems that they flip flop from phase 1 and 2 quite often.im guessing im going have to buy a phase 2 scanner to figure out what is what.

VE3RADIO

i can lock on to the south and east tower.like VE3RADIO stated,it seems that they flip flop from phase 1 and 2 quite often.im guessing im going have to buy a phase 2 scanner to figure out what is what.

Don't waste your money everything is encrypted.. bylaw is interesting.. but is it worth 600 dollars?

bigcam406

Don't waste your money everything is encrypted.. bylaw is interesting.. but is it worth 600 dollars?

nope.but i wouldnt mind trying out the new Whistler's for the DMR upgrade.seems theres lots of updates on the database ever since both Uniden and Whistler announced those upgrades.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
I have been running Unitrunker and I think I have found, that the 65xxx series talkgroups are patches, after seeing some patch connections with Ajax and Oshawa tonight.

65101 Patch 19204 (Fire Pager Simulcast) to 19205 (Ajax Station # pager?)
65113 Patch 19204 (Fire Pager Simulcast) to 19205 (Ajax Station # pager?)

Then followed by:
19200 Ajax Dispatch

I have noticed the same pattern with a few of the Clarington call outs and the DRPS use of 65173.

Just have to monitor Clarington's patches and station page outs and find the actual TG's for Clarington's Dispatch and TAC 2.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You are likely correct... Harris systems seem to reserve a big chunk of talkgroups that they use for patches. Much like the EDACS days when groups get patched they both get sent off to a temp talkgroup. On the London P25 system it's 60101 to 60200.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
The paging on TG19204. Is that being used by all the fire services or is it just Clarington? I seem to only receive the Clarington pages. I can only receive the Orono (East) tower, so I am not sure if it transmits all calls or only those that are affiliated with the tower.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
They started the process of 100% encryption on the fire channels. They were testing on the paging TG in both clear and encryption. There were a few TG's that were T with encryption, are now coming up completely ENC. Clarington and Oshawa Dispatch were the only ones coming up T clear. At least up till 3 PM today.

They are making some changes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.