NJSP unit numbering and Title 39 codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Does anybody know the current unit numbering scheme as used by the NJSP on 4-COMM for Troop B? Everything seems to be in the 6*** and 7*** range (6589, 7268, 7368, etc), which isn't covered in the wiki. Is there any rhyme or reason for these number assignments?

Also a couple of other NJSP jargon questions. What does "clear traffic" mean? Through context, I think that's saying they've finished a violator stop and resuming traffic patrol but I'm not sure. I also hear "we're OK" quite frequently. Is there a requirement to check in with the desk during a stop to let them know everything's under control?

Finally, is there a definitive quick reference notebook of the Title 39 stop codes?

Thanks in advance.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
They are officer's badge numbers. That was changed several years ago.

They used car numbers previously. The car numbers for marked units are on the license plates.

For example Troop A unit 345 plate would be "SP A 345"

W2IRT

Interesting. I had thought that might be the case, but with all the numbers so close together (nothing below about 6500 nor above 8000), I discounted it, since I assumed veteran officers would have much lower numbers.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
When something major happens you will hear badge numbers down into the 4xxx range when all the brass sign on air and respond. The higher the badge number the newer the trooper is. "Clear traffic" means they've cleared a call or stop with traffic enforcement be it a warning or a summons.

Title 39 information here.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

W2IRT

Thanks for the info. As I found earlier today, there's a $2.99 app for iOS and Android that lists the full Title 39 codes and laws (but not the points or fines, not that I need that anyways). Good stuff. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.