New Caribou-Targhee USFS Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
The main frequencies for the Caribou-Targhee National forest have changed.
The new repeater requencies are:

Targhee Forest Net 164.98750
Caribou Forest Net 164.96250

Other USFS frequencies in Idaho may have also changed.

So far, E. Idaho BLM frequencies appear unchanged except for Air-Ground frequencies and probably Air-Air.

The database has been updated with the information I have so far. Input on additional changes would be appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
The main frequencies for the Caribou-Targhee National forest have changed.
The new repeater requencies are:

Targhee Forest Net 164.98750
Caribou Forest Net 164.96250

Other USFS frequencies in Idaho may have also changed.

So far, E. Idaho BLM frequencies appear unchanged except for Air-Ground frequencies and probably Air-Air.

The database has been updated with the information I have so far. Input on additional changes would be appreciated.

I recently came across some information from an official and reliable source. According to it the frequencies you listed are repeater input frequencies. NTIA directives require frequencies below 166.5000 to be the inputs to repeaters and frequencies above 169.5000 to be repeater outputs. Nearly 100% of the frequency changes being made recently have been to comply with these directives by 1/1/19. The information I obtained shows:

Caribou Forest Net 170.5500
Targhee Forest Net 170.5250
Local Flight Follow 167.1500
Air to Air AM 124.475
Air to Ground 15 (Primary) 167.5250
Air to Ground 17 (Secondary) 167.9875

The repeater input frequencies you posted are correct and correlate with the outputs I've shown.

Authorizations for the FM frequencies are made by IRAC (Interdepartment Radio Advisory Committee) and may stay the same for decades. The AM frequencies are authorized by the FAA and are subject to annual authorizations. I think a secondary AM frequency exists, but the latest info I have doesn't show one. I will see if I can find another reference.

P.S. The changes to the forest nets have likely already taken place, but are officially effective 7/1/16.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Here is the list of Air to Air Tactics (AM) for the Eastern Idaho zone:

A/A 1 124.475
A/A 2 125.775
A/A 3 132.775

SCPD

QRT
I haven't had a lot of success submitting data to the database in the intermountain west. The information I have is about as good as it gets. I will let someone else submit it to the database.

SCPD

QRT
Also, the air to ground and air to air frequencies are not "USFS" or "BLM" frequencies. They are assigned based on interagency dispatch centers or interagency initial attack zones. They are available based on priorities set by the dispatch centers, Geographic Area Coordination Centers and the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise. They may not even be used by the federal government, but assigned to large incidents in state protection areas.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the inputs. I'll make the changes as necessary. All Radio dispatchng for both Caibou-Targhee USFS and E. Idaho BLM s handled by the Eastern Idaho Interagency Dispatch Center, and yes, air frequencies are used for multiple agencies and incidents, even though the database does not address this very well.

SCPD

QRT
Most initial attack zones line up with interagency dispatch center boundaries. In some cases, examples North Dakota and South Dakota, have only one interagency dispatch center, for each state, but there are four initial attack zones each with a set of air to ground and air to air AM frequency assignments. There are a few similar situations in the midwest, south and east. In Oregon some air to ground and air to air AM frequency use zones include several dispatch areas.

There are about 105 federal interagency dispatch centers in the U.S. Some are federal/state cooperative organizations. I need to post the large set of maps showing their boundaries on the Wiki. Right now I'm doing extensive updates on the National Air to Ground frequency tables I maintain on the Wiki. If you haven't seen the Wiki article about the National Incident Radio Support Cache (NIFC radio system) click on the National Frequency tab on the database, scroll down to the NIFC system link, then hit the Wiki tab once the page appears. I might be helpful to you. If you have any suggestions about the article I would love the feedback.

Thanks for taking care of the database submissions. I'm burned out on making submissions as I've had a fair amount of input disregarded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.