My Listening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Attached are some photos on my recently finished listen post for Central NJ. I was able to convert a vehicle console into a desktop listen post. It is self contained with its only internal power distribution and a side port for the three antennas.

From the top down I have mounted:

Uniden BC536HP - Scans all phase 1 and 2 systems
Uniden BC780XLT - Scans Motorola Type II systems
Uniden BC780XLT - Scans EDACS systems
Uniden BC350A - Used for are low band frequencies (which are limited to dispatch/alert channels)
Motorola CDM1250 VHF - Scanning VHF Conventional
Motorola CDM1550+ UHF - Scanning UHF Conventional and area buff frequencies

The scanners are connected to Stridsberg Engineering MCA204M Multicoupler (which I cannot say enough good things about. I should have integrated one of these years ago!)

This allows for just three antenna ports for the entire Post. The ports are mounted on a plate on the upper right side. For now I have been using magnet mount antennas, mainly because I have needed to take the Post up and down to the workshop.

The radios are powered by a low profile Astron power supply. The low profile power supply allows it to be nicely mounted within the self contained Post, but does sacrifice some power. To avoid any issues both UHF and VHF radios have been programmed to 25 watts.

Lastly, I have installed a front mounted clock and the console storage shelf is perfect for seating the desk mics.

Attachments

• front shot.jpg
    front shot.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,818
  • radios.jpg
    radios.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,836
  • antenna port.jpg
    antenna port.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,738
  • multicoupler.jpg
    multicoupler.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,844
  • Back Wide Shot.jpg
    Back Wide Shot.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,787

PACNWDude

Very nice. I have often thought of making something like this, and then end up keeping everything separate.

This looks nice, keeps radios and other parts together and can be placed on a desk or table together. Very nice and thank you for sharing pictures.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Power Idea

Nice setup I like it! Just an idea, why not delete the power strip and wall warts then power all the scanners with a power supply like an SEC 1212?

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Nice setup I like it! Just an idea, why not delete the power strip and wall warts then power all the scanners with a power supply like an SEC 1212?

That may be something to consider for the future, however the power strip work better because it is a 15' cord (which worked better for reaching an outlet).

Also I didn't want to have any issues with the multicoupler. There have been threads on here indicating power problems. http://forums.radioreference.com/sp...stridsberg-mca204m-multicoupler-problem.html]

When I did purchase the multicoupler it was defective. I contacted the good people at Stridsberg Engineering and they completely repaired it free of charge (which is amazing to see a company support their product, especially being that I am the second, third, fourth??? hand user). The use of a multicoupler has been a game changer for me, simply just reducing coaxial while keeping performance up.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Really like this install. Seriously wanting a multicoupler to clean up my stack of scanners but $$$...so maybe someday!

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
I contacted the good people at Stridsberg Engineering ..
If they were "good" they would have let me pickup some multicouplers in person when I was passing through town. Instead, they are just annoying due to the some stupid excuse they gave me and forced me to pay shipping and handling.

:roll:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I love my Stridsbergs, I have a half dozen. Due to my circumstances I have had to send a couple in for repairs over the last couple decades and they were always handled quickly.

I suspect however if they are not set up for over-the-counter sales for several reasons. As a manufacturer they may not have counter sales staff or may not be set up for local sales taxes or business licenses.

N9JIG

Sheriff
As for the power on the multicoupler and scanners, there is no problem running them from the same PS as the CDM's. The post you referenced showed a problem with the multicoupler itself. I run all but one of my multicouplers off the large power supplies that also power the scanners, CDM's and other two way radios.

I do have one multicoupler powered with a separate wall-wart (a Uniden model from a BCT15) since I leave it on all the time to support my HomePatrols. I leave these radios on all the time and everything else goes off with the main power supply switch.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Very nice setup.. Just wondering how the audio is with no visible speakers? Do you hear the scanners pretty well with just the onboard radio speakers?

Mike

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Here is an idea, I too wanted a coupler and the money kept me from it, Now use TV distribution amp, 4 ports out and cost about 50 dollars. I know they're 75 ohm but it works great, drive 4 scanners and even get an 800 system 2 counties away on a vhf high band ground plane at 30 feet.

Good alternative if you can't afford the real thing.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Here is an idea, I too wanted a coupler and the money kept me from it, Now use TV distribution amp, 4 ports out and cost about 50 dollars. I know they're 75 ohm but it works great, drive 4 scanners and even get an 800 system 2 counties away on a vhf high band ground plane at 30 feet.

Good alternative if you can't afford the real thing.

Hmm. Quite honestly I didn't think it would work...guess I was wrong. Always learning!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Those TV distribution amps and splitters work great on scanners. I have used them many times until I got enough Stridsbergs to cover my needs. The freq ranges are pretty much the same. I would be careful however to limit the amplification so as to not overload the scanner.

I have heard great things about the ElectroLine line of devices. The big issue with TV gear is that they mostly use F connectors instead of BNC. This means you need adapters or special cables. Don't worry about the 50/75 ohm difference, it makes no difference with scanners at all.

I have a commercial crimper for BNC and F connectors and made my own cables with F connectors on one end and BNC's on the other and they worked great.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have a commercial crimper for BNC and F connectors and made my own cables with F connectors on one end and BNC's on the other and they worked great.

And for a nominal fee you'd whip some out for loyal RadioReference members...yes? :D:D:D

Kidding. Or am I...? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.