Radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd420214

Premium Subscriber
I just past my test and waiting on my numbers and I know this has been ask probably over a 1000 times But here goes I want to buy a radio that will have all the goodies in it that I can grow into over time with out having to buy other radios I want a hand held to start out with I know I will eventually others mobile ,Base and so on you all know how it goes just can have one.
Momma said I can spend up to $500 on one so what are good options for what I want.
Thanks Dave

N2AL

I just past my test and waiting on my numbers and I know this has been ask probably over a 1000 times But here goes I want to buy a radio that will have all the goodies in it that I can grow into over time with out having to buy other radios I want a hand held to start out with I know I will eventually others mobile ,Base and so on you all know how it goes just can have one.

Momma said I can spend up to $500 on one so what are good options for what I want.

Thanks Dave

Good morning Dave, a good question to start with is what type of goodies are you wanting to dive into? There are possibilities for APRS (think GPS location and messaging); digital FM modes (including DMR -a Motorola type of communications); VHF/UHF frequency bands; and what are your interest in ham radio? Your interest with ham radio can really point you towards a great radio to begin with.

Andrew | N2AL
www.n4awl.com

ab5r

Hi Dave and congratulations on passing test. You did not say WHICH test you passed. That would help in answering you question. As you probably know, each ticket allows the holder certain modes and frequencies that they may operate.

A handheld radio will also limit you to certain modes and frequencies too. Is there a lot of amateur radio activity where you live, repeaters and such? Are they analog or digital?

Try to find a ham radio club to join, if available.

You have LOTS of fun and learning to do ahead. Have fun and take it a step at a time, ASK QUESTIONS.

Jerry AB5R

KK4TTR

I would find a club in your area, find out what others are doing, and take their advice.

I'm fortunate to live in an area with a lot of activity, and a handful of active clubs.

Looking at the map, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a club. ARRL Field Day is coming up soon, you can go here, Field Day Station Locator to find sites. I recommend going to a few of those to meet some members. My first event was a QSO Party at someone's house.

WRT to radios, dual band UHF/VHF is a good bet. You'll be disappointed with the performance of an HT. I like the Kenwood V-71A. I'm sure there's a Yaesu comparable.

I own a Kenwood TM-281A, A is for Americas, as a base station in the house, but it's only 2m. I use a dual band HT with an amplifier and mag mount antenna in the car.

If I was going to spend the money, get the Kenwood V-71A and a cheap HT just for fun. I like the idea of putting the mobile in a go box to make it portable and carry it anywhere. My shack is in a go box, with HF/2m/scanners for portability.

Ecclesiastes says it best, love God and enjoy what you do. All the best, 73.

bharvey2

Dave, Congratulations on the new ticket. You didn't mention what license class test you passed. That is going to govern the type of radio that might be recommended. However I'll second the Kenwood TM-V71A. It is a very capable radio and you should be able to buy it and an antenna and still fall within your budget. I did a quick search of your area on Repeaterbook.com and you seem to have a fairly even mix of 2M and 70cm. Unfortunately, given the broad scope of activities available in the Ham hobby, there isn't one "do all" radio. If you like collecting "new toys" you'll love it. If not, plan to be tormented. One thing to consider: DMR, an up and coming digital mode, is supported quite well in Michigan. It might be something you want to investigate.

jd420214

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys it was the technician test I passed I have a lot to learn and will be looking into a local club soon also been doing a lot of reading and listening to the scanner but I guess I'll be nervous the first time I talk on the radio and my first contact with someone.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
It could be a bit more than $500 and you might have to shop a bit, but you might want to pick up a used "shack in a box" like the Icom IC-706 MkIIG. It covers 160 to 10 meters as well as the 6, 2 and 70 Cm bands.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys it was the technician test I passed I have a lot to learn and will be looking into a local club soon also been doing a lot of reading and listening to the scanner but I guess I'll be nervous the first time I talk on the radio and my first contact with someone.

Are you wanting a mobile or handheld?

Which frequency ranges?

Modes?

Sent via Tapatalk

jd420214

Premium Subscriber
Finally

After three weeks it finally showed up KE8ERJ I want to thank everybody for the suggestion I kinda splurged a little I ended up buying a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio with a power supply know working on getting a antenna thanks again.
Dave

k6cpo

After three weeks it finally showed up KE8ERJ I want to thank everybody for the suggestion I kinda splurged a little I ended up buying a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio with a power supply know working on getting a antenna thanks again.
Dave

Three weeks? Yikes! In this day and age, with email and electronic filing, it shouldn't take more than three days for a call sign to appear in the ULS.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks Dave
Momma said ... ? (face palm) :( 73, n9zas

W5KVV

Congrats. You'll be happy with the Kenwood. I own a fleet of Kenwood gear and it's great. I've moved over to their commercial radios for mobiles, but my shack will never be without a 710.

KK4TTR

Dave

Wow, that's a nice radio. Should keep you busy for some time figuring all of it out.

I like the feature of remote controlling an HF station.

I'd still get a cheap chinese HT for fun. Looking at getting one of the dual or quad bands for the car.

N2AL

Dave

Wow excellent choice! In 2012 the Kenwood-D710 was my first choice of radio to purchase after I received my amateur radio license. I have always been a Kenwood fan both professionally and personally.

I like the Kenwood-D710 for the APRS availibity. I purchased the Green Light Labs GPS-710 adaptor for location use, and it worked great!

I currently own three Kenwood's and they are excellent! Fantastic choice and if you have any questions I am certain someone can give you a hand.

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL - Amateur Extra Class Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.