Brain tumor anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Wow!

Nice find. The 25 watts and an external antenna might make it a good temporary rig in mobile applications, like when renting a car.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
This model also doubles as a sausage cooker. The antenna seems plenty long enough to securely hold a sausage,

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hmmm, 25 watts into a poor antenna. All that power, wonder how much of it actually gets radiated? Not much mass in the radio to dissipate the heat. Fan will probably help a bit, but wondering how the noise of the fan will impact TX audio.

I'm sure the "more power" guys will love this. 25 watts on FRS, gonna teach those local kiddies a lesson.

NC1

They are always fixated on UHF, every radio is UHF, I don't get it.

Do they know that 2m is VHF? And it's the most popular?

How about a VHF Low?

The market is already saturated with UHF radios. This song has been played out. This radio is not a game changer, they need a new approach - and that will be different bands.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

How about a VHF Low?

The market is already saturated with UHF radios. This song has been played out. This radio is not a game changer, they need a new approach - and that will be different bands.
It depends on location. Look at flat Lubbock, TX. You'd expect VHF to be king out there (or in the rest of Permian basin) and you'd be dead wrong. Nearly all of the link systems in that part of Texas run on 70 cm. Also the way coordinating fell, commercial systems (note, not public safety) usually ended up being UHF and when LMR was abandoned by many businesses in the area it left a lot of surplus UHF gear up for grabs.

Also look at the manufacturer. They are attempting to market more or less to PMR which is predominantly UHF, not hams.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

Both the 25W handheld and the guy with the 2089W backpack unit defeat safety and how I use my gear.

25 Watts in a handheld, with Chinese battery, that is not to be trusted in my hand. Either that battery or the antenna is going to get hot. If those specifications are true.

And an Alice pack framed amplifier hooked up to a FT-817 putting out 2089 Watts, not very smart.

Both remind me of Tim the Toolman and his gas powered/battery screwdriver. Useless except for the attention they gain.

You gotta love the Chinese. They're taking every bad idea an American ever dreamed of, actually building it, and dumping it on us by the boatload - and we have nitwits who will buy it!

Aside from surface warming, the inadequate groundplane, and maybe the repetitive expansion and contraction of a gooey brain within a very fixed container (skull), one has to wonder what kind of filtering exists in these, what the spectral purity of this Chinese junk (pun intended) is, and what the impact to the noisefloor will be because of it.

Personally, I think it's missing a sledgehammer.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You gotta love the Chinese. They're taking every bad idea an American ever dreamed of, actually building it, and dumping it on us by the boatload - and we have nitwits who will buy it!

I give it one month until someone on this site starts posting and asking the following questions:
1. How do I program this for FRS? I need more watts.
2. Is it OK for me to talk to my local police department on this with my amateur radio license?
3. How do I "open it up" for more power.
4. What's the "best" antenna for this radio?
5. I just ordered X number of these for my family. What frequency can I use them on?
6. Can I hook this up to my CB antenna and get more range?
7. Don't preach to me. I know the rules and I'm going to ignore them. FCC won't catch me.

etc. etc. etc.

bharvey2

The first thing I thought of when I read this was the Tuskegee experiments.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I give it one month until someone on this site starts posting and asking the following questions:
1. How do I program this for FRS? I need more watts.
2. Is it OK for me to talk to my local police department on this with my amateur radio license?
3. How do I "open it up" for more power.
4. What's the "best" antenna for this radio?
5. I just ordered X number of these for my family. What frequency can I use them on?
6. Can I hook this up to my CB antenna and get more range?
7. Don't preach to me. I know the rules and I'm going to ignore them. FCC won't catch me.

etc. etc. etc.

mmckenna and I disagree on a lot of things but boy, he nailed this one. Way to go!

Hatchett

How about a VHF Low?

Their primary market isn’t the US for most Chinese radios.. The primary target market is domestic Chinese business radio use. Ones that prove popular with domestic users are often updated with menus and labels in other languages, and sold abroad.

The reason for the emphasis on UHF is… The Chinese do not really have a vhf general use business radio band. Most business activity is in the 400 to 480 Mhz range. The fact that the US has a somewhat active VHF ham band is probably not even a secondary afterthought to those people producing the radios.

The licensing practices of the Chinese regulators, and general radio usage practices of most Chinese businesses lends it’s self to field programmable radios.

How do I exactly say this…. The Chinese business radio licensing landscape is… “interesting” to say the least.

I will just say that a web SDR receiver in down town Beijing china covering the 400 to 480 Mhz band would provide people across the world with hours of unmatched entertainment.

Keep in mind, china is a country where rival construction companies will often have direct combat with each other right in the middle of town using excavators and loaders. The over the radio commentary that leads up to it would be stunning.

khaytsus

Who's going to pick one up to see how close it is to actually 25W? I'm betting 10W. Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.