BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Why No MDC1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Most likley for interop purposes. Not all are reclusive and secretive specially if they utilize allot of interop between federal fire agencies and other outside agencies. Documents or items as this exist in other places. Not to mention most of what they have listed is common knowledge and can be obtained by anyone anyway. Most likely also a regional coordinated effort between several entities to have everything on one page and in order giving a basic template to go off. I imagine allot more in use is not listed just primary items which a interop agency would need basic knowledge of to go by in setup. This type of planning and mindset varies to where you go. Some are more restricted and less likely to publish it publicly specially those who have had issues in past. As for mdc no it is just a form of data Id used. The user is issued a particular number which each areas has a assigned range. Many vendors utilize mdc as it is a common id format Motorola uses along with others such as kenwood to Icom and Relm.

Last edited:

Voyager

Likely lack of demand for it. I don't think there are any patents still in effect, but there could be.

Likely lack of demand for it. I don't think there are any patents still in effect, but there could be.

Surprising,but understandable..Though no demand, It would be cool to see the feature..considering how many agencies are
still using analog VHF/LowUHF..

Patents,I did take a stroll thru some info,seems like the patents are expired or very loose,,several makers were advertising the option..but was unclear enough so i could not take away a clear impression,,

D

DaveNF2G

If you have an IOS device, there is an app called RadioID that can decode MDC1200 (and FleetSync and some other stuff) without a physical connection to the receiver. All you have to do is place the device near the receiver and it will decode what it hears.

I know it's not as convenient as having the decoding built in to the scanner, but it's something.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
If you have an IOS device, there is an app called RadioID that can decode MDC1200 (and FleetSync and some other stuff) without a physical connection to the receiver. All you have to do is place the device near the receiver and it will decode what it hears.

I know it's not as convenient as having the decoding built in to the scanner, but it's something.
Don't forget the android users. The app is available there too for 99 cents.

Had not heard of the APP..
for bleeps & giggles ill get it
and see how it works,,But correct
not the same..
The hope was to expand the
ever growing library of user/radio id's.

These new radios have So much
memory..gotta fill it with something..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The MDC1200 patent that Motorola held expired a few years ago. Since then many manufacturers have been including it in the LMR radio lineup. Used to be Motorola was the only manufacturer that I knew of, not sure if they licensed anyone else to use it. Now Kenwood, Icom, etc. have it on many of their radios. All my Kenwoods do.

Seems like it would be a good option for scanners. However, with more and more agencies going digital, it's probably losing ground pretty fast.
Still, seems like a useful option.

I've got the App on my iPhone and it works well. I don't use it very often, though.

Im curious..
If its a feature that could be
achieved via firmware upgrade..

I seem to remember,But I could be wrong,,
but the PSR500s/PRO106's having RID/UID
on MOTO TRS's achieved that option by FW
upgrade..Again,I could be mis-remebering..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Trunked system/P25 ID's are embedded in the control channel data stream. For a trunk tracking scanner, it's fairly easy to just display the ID since it's decoded with the rest of the data necessary to follow a conversation.

MDC1200 is AFSK (Audio Frequency Shift Keying) it would require different decoding. That does bring up the idea that if the radios can decode and display CTCSS codes that the audio path is there. What would be required is something that would decode the AFSK data stream. That's a little more complex that just displaying PL tones.

Trunked system/P25 ID's are embedded in the control channel data stream. For a trunk tracking scanner, it's fairly easy to just display the ID since it's decoded with the rest of the data necessary to follow a conversation

Ahh i missed that aspect,forgetting that the radio is already reading that info..

SCPD

QRT
The mdc Id app also does ge star though hardly used anymore and rare also decodes 2 tone. Nice Little app.

Thats my thought,,
would be great if a Uniden
rep..Hmm...HMMMM...LOL
would toss it to the engineers
in casual mention..

If its just an issue of writing
some code..Ill fork a couple bucks
over..say 5$...for that long awaited
MDC1200 update.. ;-)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are really in need of MDC and you have a base/mobile scanner, there are outboard decoders. Mostly designed for dispatchers, but it'd be an option.

A built in version would be much better, though.

On the other hand, what would you do with the ID's? They are tied to the radio/vehicle, so I could see some use, but I guess I'm unclear how it would benefit the hobby.
As a radio guy myself I do have it on my work radios. Nice to know who's radio is acting up, etc.

mavrickma

If you are really in need of MDC and you have a base/mobile scanner, there are outboard decoders. Mostly designed for dispatchers, but it'd be an option.

A built in version would be much better, though.

On the other hand, what would you do with the ID's? They are tied to the radio/vehicle, so I could see some use, but I guess I'm unclear how it would benefit the hobby.
As a radio guy myself I do have it on my work radios. Nice to know who's radio is acting up, etc.

I'd love to see MDC come to scanners.

I use a XPR4550 for my department in my truck and it has the alpha tagging to be able to program a name to an ID. I've got quite the directory stored in my XPR so that whenever anybody keys up, I know who it is. I'll "radio-stalk" quite a bit waiting for a name to be called out and reference that to an ID that is talking so I can forever update my contact list. A scanner with MDC would be quite helpful in that regard. Also, if the scanner is going to be able to decode the MDC, you should be able to create a contact list in the scanner and put a name to it, like in the XPRs.

sfd119

+1 for MDC.

All of our analog channels around here use it. Even large agencies such as Boston Fire use it. It would be nice to alias MDC IDs to people.

Probably the same Id do with the radio ID's for p25-1FT/moto/edacs/dmr ect..
Tag em!..Now a days,,these radios have too much memory..not like
the 10-50 & 100 channel radios from yesteryear.

And like the post above stated,,Massachusetts,,there is about 80-90%
PublicSafety is analog..

I suppose its not Needed but its also nice to be able to flex the
option if it were available... Just my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.