Pro-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobniqu

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radioshack Pro-651. The power cord I have doesn't work. AS soon as I plug it in, everything turns off. It does not charge. I brought it o Radio Shack today and they sold me a new tip, but even that doesn't work. Any idea on what to use for a power cord?

trp2525

I have a Radioshack Pro-651. The power cord I have doesn't work. AS soon as I plug it in, everything turns off. It does not charge. I brought it o Radio Shack today and they sold me a new tip, but even that doesn't work. Any idea on what to use for a power cord?

Return that new tip to Radio Shack and get your money back. Instead you should purchase the genuine AC adapter for the Whistler WS1040 handheld scanner which is the same scanner as the Radio Shack PRO-651.

The AC adapter that you want is Whistler Part # S-ACA1025. It is $9.95 (plus shipping) and can be ordered here: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/shop-online/scanner-accessories/9v-scanner-radio-ac-adapter.html

Other accessories for your PRO-651 (same as Whistler WS1040 accessories) can be found here: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/shop-online/scanner-accessories.html

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Also turn your scanner off when plugging it in or removing the plug. If you do that you will find everything is OK.

DJ11DLN

Return that new tip to Radio Shack and get your money back. Instead you should purchase the genuine AC adapter for the Whistler WS1040 handheld scanner which is the same scanner as the Radio Shack PRO-651.

The AC adapter that you want is Whistler Part # S-ACA1025. It is $9.95 (plus shipping) and can be ordered here: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/shop-online/scanner-accessories/9v-scanner-radio-ac-adapter.html

Other accessories for your PRO-651 (same as Whistler WS1040 accessories) can be found here: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/shop-online/scanner-accessories.html
+1. You can't beat factory-correct accessories. I do happen to use a no-name wall wart for my 651 but right is right, and that one will work, unless there's a problem with the external power jack. And don't try to charge batteries in your scanner, get a decent charger for your NIMH batteries. Lots of horror stories out there about batteries leaking or exploding while charging. Far better to ruin a $30 charger than a $500 radio.:wink:

Blackswan73

You can't charge the batteries in the scanner anyway, unless you want to leave it off for a week while connected to the charger. The radio is not designed to charge the batteries.

N1BHH

It's not a good idea to charge batteries in the scanner while it is operating. This will limit the lifetime of the batteries. Always use an external battery charger, get an extra set or two of batteries and cycle them through proper charging cycles and use in your scanner. And before plugging anything with power into the scanner, you must turn it off, plug in, then turn it on. The correct power level and polarity are to be checked beforehand.

QDP2012

Check these things first before more expensive options...

Welcome to RadioReference bobniqu,

Two issues you might be encountering are (1) improper voltage and (2) improper polarity on the tip.

The easiest to check is the tip-polarity. Read the documentation, and make sure the tip is oriented correctly when you connect it to the power-cord. If the tip is "backwards" then the scanner will do exactly as you describe, and will not work.

The RadioShack adapter that is listed in the documentation is ideal, but some adapters (even Radio Shack) have selectable voltages (have a sliding switch or a rotating switch on the adapter's brick) that let you choose the output voltage. Make sure it is set correctly. If it is too low, then the scanner won't work. You also don't want it too high.

Hope this helps,

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
It's not a good idea to charge batteries in the scanner while it is operating. This will limit the lifetime of the batteries. Always use an external battery charger, get an extra set or two of batteries and cycle them through proper charging cycles and use in your scanner. And before plugging anything with power into the scanner, you must turn it off, plug in, then turn it on. The correct power level and polarity are to be checked beforehand.

Like I said earlier, turn it off before you plug it in. Most likely that is his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.