When Will Sentinel Support DMR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

I moved this post from the DMR discussions here to to software discussion threads since one of the moderators feels that software should not be discussed in the DMR thread.

But for many of us, Sentinel has become an integral part of using out 436 and 536 units, and I certainly understand why folks are hesitant to get involved manually programming DMR systems into their radios.

Butel is already supporting DMR in his latest software for the 436 and 536 units. My fear is that the necessary upgrade to Sentinel by Uniden to support DMR may fall into the same abyss as the Android app did for the aforementioned units.

Having purchased a number of license keys for my 436 and 536 units, I think it would be incumbent upon Uniden to get cracking with updating the software to cover the new firmware. I know that I am not alone here--- I've read many posts where folks are holding off on getting involved with the DMR firmware (even though they have also purchased their keys), waiting for Uniden to update Sentinel.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
The DMR firmware is still being developed. I'm sure they don't want to commit to a way of programming for Sentinel and then have to change Sentinel when they decide something different. Remember, the DMR firmware is still in pre-release status. There was a disclaimer stating that there was no Sentinel support. That was one of the agreements to the firmware download. Don't like it? - wait until the official release.

Saying that, the provoice Sentinel update was near the same time as the firmware update.

So..
The big Q is how many more DMR Preview Friday's do we have left..

Also curious..Wonder what the final cost $$ for the DMR upgrade will be..

MStep

So..

Yes, one of my concerns is that these "previews" could go on ad nauseam. Well, let's see how things look over the next several weeks.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The answer to the OP's question is "when the DMR firmware is fully ready for public use".

It's really not hard to figure out, and has happened before. When ProVoice was released, the new version of Sentinel came with it. When the firmware update prior to that was released, a new version of Sentinel came with it.

Fears that Sentinel will be "forgotten" are unfounded because Sentinel is an integral part of the scanner going forward, with its weekly database updates and firmware deliveries.

To make a DMR-capable Sentinel available now would surely break functionality for those people who have opted to not get the DMR previews (or DMR at all).

Some of you just don't seem happy unless you're complaining about something...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We were told upfront that Sentinel would not be updated until the public release of the DMR firmware. Each of us that paid the fee and downloaded the beta firmware agreed to these terms. It was not in small print and was posted up front for all to see first. Just like all the other add on features we were told were coming but were never told when.

SCPD

QRT
Plus I'm trialing the android app and so far so good. I wouldn't expect it to be too long for release. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
We were told upfront that Sentinel would not be updated until the public release of the DMR firmware. Each of us that paid the fee and downloaded the beta firmware agreed to these terms. It was not in small print and was posted up front for all to see first. Just like all the other add on features we were told were coming but were never told when.

shhhh.. you are interrupting the whining!

Alex_S

Missed The Point

Looks like everyone missed one of the original points. Butel is already supporting DMR with his program for the 436 and the 536. Isn't it ironic that a third-party vendor can support DMR, but that Uniden can't?

I,like many others here, are patiently waiting for Uniden to finalize DMR so that I can begin to use it with my own radios. Yes, I know that a new Sentinel will not be available until that happens, but if a third-party vendor can support it, and then make the necessary adjustments in their program as Uniden makes progress with DMR, Uniden should give some thought to doing that as well.

Right now, I either have to get involved programming manually, or buy the Butel program to make things easier, I prefer to wait for Uniden, and I think that it's fine that Uniden gets a little reminder every once in a while that there are some of us out here waiting for Uniden to get it all together.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So..

I wondered the same thing, and figured it would jump up so I bought the key a few weeks ago.

Dmr is here, and people should be grabbing the key at the discounted rate now. Even if you want to wait for the public release of the firmware. You can still buy the key and wait for the public version

The answer to the OP's question is "when the DMR firmware is fully ready for public use".

Fears that Sentinel will be "forgotten" are unfounded because Sentinel is an integral part of the scanner going forward, with its weekly database updates and firmware deliveries.

Some of you just don't seem happy unless you're complaining about something...

I am not complaining but my take is that since there are so many different scenarios out there, they should offer a beta version of Sentinel so at the very least, that team can start tweaking it. Whistler has their software ready it seems and as Uniden did make the historical dmr announcement, Whistler seems like its in the lead.

Not a complaint. Just my feelings.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I wondered the same thing, and figured it would jump up so I bought the key a few weeks ago.

Dmr is here, and people should be grabbing the key at the discounted rate now. Even if you want to wait for the public release of the firmware. You can still buy the key and wait for the public version

People forget that DMR is a whole different beast than P25. It is obvious that it is not as easy to map out LCNs with a Cap+/Conn System/DMR as it is with EDACS/LTR systems in the past. We are still in the infant stages monitoring DMR....heck the 1st trunktracking scanner back in 1997 (BC235XLT) could only follow 1 analog Motorola 800Mhz system at a time. You want to monitor EDACS? You had to wait until the 245XLT came along. There was no firmware update to "add EDACS". I understand people are more impatient these days. It is all about "make it work perfectly and gimme it NOW!" instead of "I want to be a part of making DMR reception better for everyone...not just myself".

I am not complaining but my take is that since there are so many different scenarios out there, they should offer a beta version of Sentinel so at the very least, that team can start tweaking it. Whistler has their software ready it seems and as Uniden did make the historical dmr announcement, Whistler seems like its in the lead.

Not a complaint. Just my feelings.

If Uniden released an incomplete version of Sentinel you would see 3 pages of threads whining about "WHY DOES SENTINEL NOT WORK PERFECTLY???" and "UNIDEN SUX AND IS WORST COMPANY EVAR!!!!"

Uniden has had its share of missteps and mistakes...no one being truly honest will deny that they have fallen short on promises in the past and Uniden has it's share of "Fanboys" (hell I have been called one myself before even as it criticized Uniden). But let's also be honest and also admit that there are those with interests in hating Uniden and any of it's offerings. There are those whose end goal would be to see Uniden fold as a company and won't be happy until that happens. Uniden can not please these folks no matter what.

I understand the mentality of wanting an updated Sentinel. You think I enjoy entering in DMR by hand into my 436/536? I am in the same "enter everything by hand" hell everyone else is. But I think patience will be rewarded with a fully working version of Sentinel.

Marshall KE4ZNR

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll add that we have several projects for the engineers, and having them write, rewrite, then re-rewrite Sentinel would be a waste of their time and our company's money. As I posted previously. I am also eagerly awaiting Sentinel. Programming by hand is a breeze. A hot, humid, sticky, sweaty breeze.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Programming by hand is a breeze. A hot, humid, sticky, sweaty breeze.

Not to worry, someone will soon jump in and post something along the line of:

"well it couldn't be that hard to tweak something here or there"

and I guarantee this "expert" will be someone who has never sat looking at the compiler and wondering what just happened ;)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
and I guarantee this "expert" will be someone who has never sat looking at the compiler and wondering what just happened ;)

Spoken like a true coder! That's usually the point when it compiles with 0 warnings 0 errors, amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.