WS1098 how does priority function behave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I've scanned nearly 30 years with uniden equipment and now my primary rig (mobile) is a WS1098 so naturally my mind is still wrapping around the smooth operation of it and fine tuning how I use and need it to operate. I can't quite tell/trust if I have priority functioning properly or not.

I have a conventional scanlist with some channels labeled as priority. I also have priority mode turned on with 2sec interval, so Pri shows up on the display while scanning. But I don't trust that it's working. My other radios get traffic on a priority channel and it can go 3-5 seconds before the 1098 picks up the traffic, and I think it's just getting it when the scanlist comes up, not a priority check. When it stops on other non-priority traffic, I don't hear the telltale "blip" every 2 seconds like I have the last 30 years with uniden hardware, nor does it switch over when I know there is traffic on the priority channel.

Should Whistler's priority function be as expected as Uniden and Realistic scanners have in the past, or does it behave completely different?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It should behave as you described your Uniden.

Are you sure you have the individual objects set to priority?

Zamson25

Premium Subscriber
I have a WS1080 and I have found that the priority function stopped working when the WS1088 and subsequent update came out. It was the update that put "Pri" on the display. Weather priority will work but any conventional channel will not work as a priority channel. I have been in contact with Whistler about this and it still has not been addressed.

TAbirdman

I have a WS1080 and I have found that the priority function stopped working when the WS1088 and subsequent update came out. It was the update that put "Pri" on the display. Weather priority will work but any conventional channel will not work as a priority channel. I have been in contact with Whistler about this and it still has not been addressed.

What is the firmware version on your 1080?

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber

Thank you Zamson. I was afraid of this. I wouldn't put it past me to not have it programmed right since it is so "backwards" compared to what I've been used to in operating, but humbly saying I am pretty confident with all radios across the spectrum and troubleshooting/isolating issues. So I threw the white flag and came here for help.

There's a few other behavioral issues I'm running into, but I have to make sure they aren't "me" first. I guess it's cool that we can now upload firmware/software and activate entire new functions of a radio (DMR), but it's frustrating that having that environment means our radios are now inherent to bugs and programming mistakes. It's also frustrating trying to learn the new radio and now not having as much faith that a problem I'm experiencing is truly a "me" problem, vs. a "bug" in the software, especially when they can't get Priority functioning.

I'll contact Whistler also to add weight to this bug.

Zamson25

Premium Subscriber
CPU is 3.5
DSP is 2.2

I'm updating to the latest firmware now.

I updated the scanner with the most recent firmware updates and the priority function works now.

CPU is now 3.6
DSP is now 2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.