Okanogan Co. Fire in the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine is restoring an ambulance that once served the Okanogan Fire Dist (District 3, to be specific) in the early 70s.

Does anyone know what freq's would have been in use by the District then? We need to know what kind of radios to replicate for the interior, and which antenna types to mount on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance, any assistance would be appreciated!
Rob

BigMikey2011

Premium Subscriber
Okanogan County Fire in the 70s

46.1000 Mhz was the main frequency that was used for dispatching. But the ambulance had both High/Low band Vhf radios, mostley Motorolas.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mikey! A couple of questions:

So we will need a pair of Motrac era heads.... I assume the vhf hi was for hospital comms?

We were thinking that a scanner of that era would have been installed and be appropriate?

Can I assume the district owned/operated the ambulances, and they were not provided by a commercial company?

BigMikey2011

Premium Subscriber
Okanogan Co Fire in the 70's

The Ambulances were either operated by Omak Volunteer Fire & Rescue or Okanogan Volunteer Fire Departments (now both are operated by LifeLine Ambulance). Omak's was known by 460 and Okanogan's was 660. Malott who is the 3rd department in the district did not have a ambulance. Okanogan County Fire District 3 did not operate any of the ambulances they contracted with the 2 city fire departments.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
This is from Los Angeles, but period correct:

8170418127_9bfa848bdb_h.jpg

8170417719_ea99b275ec_h.jpg

Progline

Premium Subscriber
46.1000 Mhz was the main frequency that was used for dispatching. But the ambulance had both High/Low band Vhf radios, mostly Motorolas.

Mikey, do you remember how many channels the Low Band & Hi Band radios would have/need? I'm guessing the FD had a main dispatch, and fireground channel (at least?) and maybe the hi-band was for ambulance to hospital comms, so maybe one channel on HEAR?

BigMikey2011

Premium Subscriber
There was 2 lowband freqs one dispatch & one fireground plus a Highband radio with 3 freqs. The callsign was KOK377.

Status
Not open for further replies.