Turn on Systems on the scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshank522

I have a FL setup and it was working. Even tho the systems show on the scanner in the FL ...I have some how manged to turn off SO: 1 and 2 . How to I turn on and off a System in a FL on the scanner. Is there a setting on the scanner I am missing ? I have tripled check the structuring on my (simple)FL in the Sentinel software and it looks fine.

Thank you in advance.

dshank522

Thank you. When I follow your path I see systems 03 and 04 and they are turned on and scanning. 1 and 2 show nothing. Quick key not set. ? Because I see them in the FL.

dshank522

Profile is set to monitor and download in Sentinel. FL and System and dept QK's are set in Sentinel. It shows the Systems in the FL on the scanner and QK's are set to match the FL in Sentinel. The Systems are there on the scanner but not set to a System QK. So I programmed the scanner with the correct System QK's and they still don't show up.

D

darunimal

I take 1 & 2 are digital systems?
You've programmed SQKs, have you enabled them in the scanner via xx.01. And if they are digital systems, they'll need a Department Quick Key for at least ONE site, without a site enabled (by using a '.' (Always on with that Site/no DQK needed for Site(s))(or you'll need a DQK for the systems' 'Site' 'zz' (utilizing xx.yy.zz to enable/disable that Sites' DQK) there will NOT be any digital frequencies for the scanner to scan.

Program your DQK for Sites
xx.yy. Single Site s can use '.' and will Always be on, when that Favorite Lists' & System is toggled on.(you could use 0) and alway keep it on by never typing xx.yy.00 for any single-Site System
Or
xx.yy.zz Site 'zz' has the ability to turn on a Systems' Multiple different Sites on or off individual(good for bigger Systems with Multiple Site where a States or a multi-county jurisdict System, or just a county with a multi-site set-up.

Last edited:

dshank522

Thank you daruniman and ofd8001. darunimal called it. I had done some clever editing (so i thought) on those 2 Digital Systems and removed the sites they required.I guess now my next question is when setting up a digital system how do you determine what "sites" are required ? When I go to the Sentinel database and go to
USA>Missouri>Clay>Statewide>Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN)>Missouri Highway Patrol Troop A (Lees Summit) and append that to a FL it brings a big list of "stuff" with it. I don't believe all of those are sites required because some are across the state.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You could just leave them all in and make sure your FL is set for location control. Then, if you set your location the scanner will lock out all the distant sites. If you know which sites you want to monitor, then you can delete the others, but knowing which ones to monitor is something of an art mixed with a bit of science as well as maybe some inside knowledge as to system architecture.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
The rule of thumb that I use is to pick between 2 and 5 sites that will cover the area that I am in (assuming that I will be somewhat stationary), and delete the rest. Sites will have overlapping coverage areas, and this way you will pick up traffic from radios affiliated with those sites that you can receive; also in the event a site goes into site trunking or goes down completely, you have other sites that you can monitor.

When you click on the site name in the RRDB, a map will come up illustrating the (theoretical) coverage area of that site. I use that as a rough guideline, knowing that a site's coverage is not a perfect circle and is affected by terrain and other factors.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just to underscore something already said. Programming all sites and using Location Control might be the best option if there is any chance you may be in multiple locations with your scanner. As you arrive at a new location, enter the appropriate zipcode and the scanner will turn on appropriate sites and departments.

Also there is minimal downside to "casting a wide net" on programming sites. If you program sites too far to receive a signal, the scanner "skips" over them. Similar to skipping an inactive conventional channel.

marksmith

The rule of thumb that I use is to pick between 2 and 5 sites that will cover the area that I am in (assuming that I will be somewhat stationary), and delete the rest. Sites will have overlapping coverage areas, and this way you will pick up traffic from radios affiliated with those sites that you can receive; also in the event a site goes into site trunking or goes down completely, you have other sites that you can monitor.

When you click on the site name in the RRDB, a map will come up illustrating the (theoretical) coverage area of that site. I use that as a rough guideline, knowing that a site's coverage is not a perfect circle and is affected by terrain and other factors.
One of the "other factors" not mentioned is directional transmit bias. In many cases that circle is very different than the actual propagation of the signal from the site.

The general rule of thumb still applies, but some of those sites might be out of range even though close. Especially on newer P25 systems or simulcast systems, where they have confined the signal, tailored to remain within the jurisdiction. More distant sites might even be in range.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.