southstar medevac service to be suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

according to the northstar medevac facebook page, southstar medevac will cease services on july 01 2016 @ 0700 hrs. there is not really much more to see, in the news blurb. i searched for online info. did not find any.

i was truly fortunate to get an inside look at their operation's, about 20 year's ago, when a group of my friend's got to visit their base, tour the helicopter, and talk with a flight medic.

according to the northstar medevac facebook page, southstar medevac will cease services on july 01 2016 @ 0700 hrs. there is not really much more to see, in the news blurb. i searched for online info. did not find any.

i was truly fortunate to get an inside look at their operation's, about 20 year's ago, when a group of my friend's got to visit their base, tour the helicopter, and talk with a flight medic.

I never did get down to see SouthSTAR, but I have seen and called for NorthSTAR on a number of occasions. At one point, when I was doing my MICP retread, got to tour the ship on top of "the U." Got to take note of the comments on their page, particularly about how private air ambulance providers might charge exorbitantly high prices for service. The motorovehicles-funded JEMSTAR program was truly a gem in and of itself.

I know the flight medics and RNs from the hospital air ambulances will continue to provide exceptional patient care, but I've got less confidence in their administrators.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Surprised they flew as long as they did. Those helicopters were not designed for medical transport, they are converted executive / passenger transport helicopters. They're also very inefficient as compared to newer purpose built helicopters.

asnhnetwork

Maybe someone can actually change the tags for the medevac channels to what they should be. North Jersey and South Jersey as opposed to Northstar and SouthStar as that has been outdated for years.

W2SJW

Database Admin
They've been like this for years:
WaRCkI7.jpg

Just because one bird will no longer fly, does not mean the program name is no longer valid...

scannersnstuff

and the other thing is, any member can submit information to the database. don't wait for someone else to do it. the database is only as good as us, the frequency gurus make it. remember that.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
They are going to continue State Police operations with there helicopters in south Jersey, and there are plenty of other medevac agencies in the area to take there place.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
They are going to continue State Police operations with there helicopters in south Jersey, and there are plenty of other medevac agencies in the area to take there place.

As far as I know there is Penn Star at ACY and Cooper's helos at Millville. SouthSTAR was out of Hammonton. I think there are several other providers of MEDIVAC services in North Jersey also but North Star is continuing to operate. Sounds like some political antics to me. Virtua Hospital's paramedics were "kicked" out of Camden earlier this year. Cooper has their helo operating out of Millville so Iwould be surprised if Cooper's helo moves north soon.

ResQguy

Meh
Surprised they flew as long as they did. Those helicopters were not designed for medical transport, they are converted executive / passenger transport helicopters. They're also very inefficient as compared to newer purpose built helicopters.

Pretty sure the S76EMS was configured from the factory for that mission.
Sikorsky-S76-EMS-interior-0410a.JPG
but that doesn't matter anymore as they've been using AW139 for 5 years now.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
My brother-in-law told me he knew about this but forgot to tell me. Apparently one reason is that the SouthSTAR helicopter is too big for some of the hospital pads. So this is 1 reason for the demise of SouthSTAR. I said that that doesn't sound correct since NorthSTAR uses the same aircraft.

Also he told me about a frequency/service that dispatches MEDIVAC helicopters like Cooper Hospital's and PennSTAR. He called it "AIRCOMM". I looked in the NJ and PA databases but couldn't find anything. Any ideas what this frequency might be?

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I pick up Air Comm on 463.1750 here, Little is said there, Penn star on 155.3850 and 155.4.is where most of there dispatch is. Also Medevac 5 is in the area and someone asked about Woodbine airport, I believe medevac 3 is still there. Jeffstat is also in the area along with Cooper One.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I pick up Air Comm on 463.1750 here, Little is said there, Penn star on 155.3850 and 155.4.is where most of there dispatch is. Also Medevac 5 is in the area and someone asked about Woodbine airport, I believe medevac 3 is still there. Jeffstat is also in the area along with Cooper One.

What frequencies are used for JeffStat and Cooper One? Thanks for the info.

EDIT 1: I found the frequencies for JeffSTAT.

Last edited:

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I just did a search for Air Comm on 463.175 MHz on the FCC Database. All of the locations for this frequency are in North Jersey which doesn't help me.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
463.175 seems to be a talk around channel when they have a longer discussion about how to handle a flight. Jeff stat and Temple use it when calling air comm, Only place I really hear Cooper is on the State trunk.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
I thought temple and Jeffstat was on VHF hi for company operations. Cooper one has to be using something for company/flight following as the state 800 system is not used for routine communications.
463.175 you heard them using a repeater in this frequency?

MedicCop

South Jersey Airmedical Helicopters:

MedEvac 4, Woodbine Airport, Cape May County
MedEvac 5, Inspira-Vineland Hospital, Cumberland County
Cooper 1, Millville Airport, Cumberland County
JeffSTAT 1, Kennedy Hospital- Washington Township, Gloucester County
PennSTAR 2, Atlantic City Airport, Atlantic County
MONOC 1, Miller Airport, Ocean County

Status
Not open for further replies.