getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
+1 on freescan if you've got a programming cable. You can do it by hand but it's so much easier to program by computer. If you're only needing a few things by hand isn't terrible and it gives you a chance to learn the scanner but if you need a lot of stuff I'd definitely stick to software. The above links are super helpful.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
If you decide to go the software route, a simple serial cable can be used to program your scanner. it's not likely there will be any further firmware updates, so an $8 null-modem cable and Freescan will get you where you want to be.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you decide to go the software route, a simple serial cable can be used to program your scanner. it's not likely there will be any further firmware updates, so an $8 null-modem cable and Freescan will get you where you want to be.

Just a tip here: If need to buy a Serial - USB converter, get the FTDI version!! I originally ignored this advice in the RR forum archives, and learned the hard way that you can't buy any off-the-shelf product. Serial - USB converter's are not passive adapters, they use a chip and the chips are not made equally. I got my FTDI adapter from gearmo.com, it works great and comes with signal activity LED's for every pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.