TRX-1 Bricked during FW update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
TRX-1 Bricked during FW update then it revived itself.

I installed the PC program, updated everything and then connected the radio while it was turned off. It said it couldn't determine the CPU version and could not update. It is now toast. When I turned it back on it had a 04-00 error. The second time I turned it on it just sat and spun crazy % numbers when trying to load up the microSD card.

I tried again and the DSP upgraded but it still couldn't find the CPU version and said it couldn't comm with the unit over USB. At least it woke up and seems to be operating correctly now.

:confused:

Last edited:

trido

Premium Subscriber
Trying to load trx-2 pc software

Has anyone been stuck on this screen when loading trx software?Windows 10.
I have deleted reinstalled re booted no good.I have tried with scanner usb connected and NOT connected I cant get past this scanlist screen
IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited:

rudd

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You bricked it? How did you recover?

Did you have to JTAG it?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
TO ALL NEW READERS. DO THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU EVER TURN ON THE SCANNER.
#1. OPEN SCANNER REMOVER SD CARD.
#2. PLACE SD CARD IN CARD READER.
#3. MAKE A NEW FOLDER ON YOUR COMPUTER CALLED TRX-x
#4. COPY THE ENTIRE SD CARD TO THIS LOCATION.
#5. REPLACE SD CARD IN YOUR SCANNER AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.
Now you have a back up to work from. This is how I recovered from the same problem with my TRX-2.
MANCOW IF SOMEONE WILL EMAIL YOU THE SD CARD CONTENTS FROM THEIR SCANNER YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR SCANNER.

rudd

Banned
OR, they could just post the application to the Whistler website.

seth21w

Now you have a back up to work from. This is how I recovered from the same problem with my TRX-2.
MANCOW IF SOMEONE WILL EMAIL YOU THE SD CARD CONTENTS FROM THEIR SCANNER YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR SCANNER.

Not everyone has a card reader! All you have to do is plug scanner into the computer and open the f drive and copy the files no need to remove card especially if you dont have a card reader.

rudd

Banned
Probably less likely to corrupt the card this way as well..

I'm sure many people will just pull the SD card out without first unmounting it from the PC.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As posted my win 7 64 pc would not see the scanner or the card in the scanner until I loaded the software. I also have talked to others that are having the same trouble. I knew this from using my PRO668. You have WHISTLER DEALERS having the same problem as I did. They have the team working on it now. Now I am going to try my Windows 10 tablet.

mancow

Database Admin

I did that. I have the original contents backed up. However, it is my understanding the firmware resides within the devices not the sd card which is why it must shift into a firmware upgrade mode. I did not use the backup to recover.

I recovered by attempting the update process several times with battery pulls in between but it still never updated the CPU. The DSP did however update.

I was finally just now able to update the CPU by trying the process on a different computer. I have no idea why there is a difference. Every other aspect of programming via the first computer went fine but it did not like the firmware upgrade process. It would often time out and was unable to shift the device into that update mode.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It put mine on the sd card from the way it looked then updated when I plugged the card back in the scanner. Just glad both of us are up and working. Yes I talked to a dealer today was informed Wendy and the team were looking into the problem.

mancow

Database Admin
Can you clarify for me me please? You put exactly what on the card, the new firmware? How did you obtain it? Did you pull it from a temp folder it downloads to and move it to the card?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
With the SD card in a reader I performed all updates the plugged the card back in the scanner. I just now connected to the same scanner with my win 10 tablet clicked updates and it told me all up to date.

Not everyone has a card reader! .

everyone with these SD card integrated radios should.
they are dirt cheap online, either USB dongle reader,
PCMCIA with CF to SD..then Micro SD..

Yeah,Yeah,, oh its so much time to do and costs money..

Ive practiced this with my PSR800,now my 436HP...
NEVER have I had a corrupted SD issue. Not once.
Makes it a breeze to update my RR Databases regularly
I carry a back-up SD of the RRDB and my builds..

its 10 or 15 bucks youll never miss and you use it for
years to come

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
With the SD card in a reader I performed all updates the plugged the card back in the scanner. I just now connected to the same scanner with my win 10 tablet clicked updates and it told me all up to date.

Interesting, thanks. I will try that. I assumed the PC application was shifting the flash memory devices into program mode and performing the update over serial.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Also Whistler has the new USB drivers on the site for win 7 win 8 win 10 both 32 bit and 64 bit saved the drivers to my win 10 tablet and installed without the trick setup just a normal setup.

mancow

Database Admin
Also Whistler has the new USB drivers on the site for win 7 win 8 win 10 both 32 bit and 64 bit saved the drivers to my win 10 tablet and installed without the trick setup just a normal setup.

Going to check it out. Thanks.

D

darunimal

I have both Whistler 10xx Series and Uniden BCDx36HP Series SD cards backed up to a single SD card SPARE EMERGENCY card, and I always use the SD card reader, I have. Yes, I have had a hiccup and glitch with a card once or twice with scanneros, nothing a format wouldn't take care of. I have had a few die a untimely death, but that was mitigated by constant back-up, those were used in Cameras and Android based phones so read/write and heat/cold could have taken their tolls. I second the notion that every owner of a scanner with an SD card should have a version of a SD card reader. I also believe that many more users will have problems with USB-3 ports than USB-2 ports. With all of that in mind, always copy the contents of an SD card over to your computer right away, maybe even burn a disc or 2 with those original contents, and put them on a hard drive or 2 or 3, and eMail them to your self as well. You never know when or where you might need to gain access to them! If your properly backed-up and make all these options available to yourself, you'll probably never have an issue because your likely already prepared and just wasted $15 and an hour of your time, vs the converse: while in a emergency, you'll spend $45 and 12 hours trying: anything and everything, to just get up an running, while out on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.