Scanner is not picking up any signals...what did I do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Ok,

I must have done something last night. I left my 536 in the vehicle. It was off. When last I used it, the scanner was happily chugging away at control channels and conventional traffic.

This morning, I turn the scanner on and it won't pick up nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. It doesn't pick-up the control channel activity on any of my TRS's. It doesn't even pick-up the weather channel.

No audio. Does not stop on anything. My 436 is working fine, so I know there wasn't an EMP last night...

What did I do ?

I checked that almost all the services are enabled.

I enabled different Favorites to no avail - On and Off.

Acts like it is scanning....

I chose "Reset User Settings" under the Restore Options. Didn't help.

I totally erased all of my favorites and deleted the database and reloaded ... to no avail.

Help please ? What did FLANO do :D

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Antenna connection, squelch, att

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Uniden supplied antenna. Tried a few of my own. Nada.

Squelch is not a factor here.

ATT, adjusting it on/off, changing to global ATT on/off no effect :(

Thank you.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
You left in the vehicle, its been over 100 degrees in AZ for the last week. Just throwing it out there.

While, I left it in the vehicle last night, it wasn't in there all week. It wasn't in the direct sun while in operation in the van. I take it in normally, but last night, I got home late, just before midnight, well after sun down and nowhere near the 100 degree temps..

Thanks for the hot potato idea :)

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Replace SD card and update from your computer. I have a PRO18 that is like that format the card restore the data it is happy.

Nope, that didn't work either.

It is acting like no signal is getting to the scanner.

Anyone else have a suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
John, I assume you've tried the basics of setting the radio to Weather Scan, and with a test antenna on the back of the set, confirm that it receives the NOAA Weather broadcasts.

If it doesn't even do that, it may be beyond what you can do with it, unfortunately.

- Chris

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately not receiving any Weather broadcasts might be a dismal indication.

As a "Hail Mary" I'd be tempted to remove the SD card from the 436 and install it in the 536 just to see what happens. That way an SD card known to be good is being used.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
John, I assume you've tried the basics of setting the radio to Weather Scan, and with a test antenna on the back of the set, confirm that it receives the NOAA Weather broadcasts.

If it doesn't even do that, it may be beyond what you can do with it, unfortunately.

- Chris

Sounding more and more like that possibility Chris.

I'm running out of ideas. It worked perfectly, now it doesn't :(

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Unfortunately not receiving any Weather broadcasts might be a dismal indication.

As a "Hail Mary" I'd be tempted to remove the SD card from the 436 and install it in the 536 just to see what happens. That way an SD card known to be good is being used.

I had tried replacing the SD card trick. Didn't work.

I can think of only two more things to try. One I can do, the other, send the 536 to be looked at by the professionals.....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the scanner is less than 1 year old, or it's one of the first batch that was sent in for a headphone jack repair campaign, it might still be under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.