AFRRCS - will you sell your scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If everything goes encrypted like we are all hearing, Will you be selling your scanner?

If by everything, do you mean AHS and law enforcement?

There will be lots of stuff to listen to on AFRCCS.

Some/many fire departments will use AFRCCS is some capacity. The City of Edmonton will be moving transit, fire, police(probably 100% encrypted) and most city services, that currently use the EDACS system.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
With both Uniden and Whistler making DMR scanners there is so much to listen to. We have just hit a point where digital is in reach for most users.

Lots of police departments keep channels open so they can be scanned by news organizations, and partner agencies. They encrypt the sensitive comms where they are following a suspect, or conducting an operation where they need to be covert.

AHS has gone encoded because of an over zealous interpretation of the Health Information Act. But STARS uses proper radio protocol and is still open and analog.

There is nothing to scan if you choose to believe there is nothing to scan. I have gone to major US cities and even if the police is encoded I have always found something to scan.

But if your wanting to sell your scanner I will pay you $.75 on the dollar for any BCDx36HP scanner.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Interop channels will still be in the clear.
Fire departments will still be in the clear (mostly).
Non-public-safety departments will (probably) still be in the clear.

People said scanners were junk when the first electronic, non-crystalled radios came out. Scanners followed suit and became electronically programmable as well.
People said scanners would go away when voice scrambling was first used. People used their scanners to listen to something other than what was scrambled.
People said scanners would become useless when they were only 25-512 MHz and users moved to 800. Then they made an 800 MHz capable scanner.
People said scanners were garbage when trunking was implemented. Trunking scanners were invented.
People said scanners would go the way of the dodo when P25 was deployed. P25 scanners came out.
People said scanners would become trash when DMR digital modes came to exist. DMR scanning is now a reality.
People are now saying that scanners will become paperweights because "everything is going encrypted". The smart people will move to listen to things which aren't encrypted. The no-so-smart ones will continue to lament that the sky is falling, just like it's been falling for the past 40+ years.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

People said scanners were junk when the first electronic, non-crystalled radios came out. Scanners followed suit and became electronically programmable as well.
People said scanners would go away when voice scrambling was first used. People used their scanners to listen to something other than what was scrambled.
People said scanners would become useless when they were only 25-512 MHz and users moved to 800. Then they made an 800 MHz capable scanner.
People said scanners were garbage when trunking was implemented. Trunking scanners were invented.
People said scanners would go the way of the dodo when P25 was deployed. P25 scanners came out.
People said scanners would become trash when DMR digital modes came to exist. DMR scanning is now a reality.
People are now saying that scanners will become paperweights because "everything is going encrypted". The smart people will move to listen to things which aren't encrypted. The no-so-smart ones will continue to lament that the sky is falling, just like it's been falling for the past 40+ years.

And I recall having to have 2 scanners at once. One for Analog scanning and one to trunk track. That because back then they could only do one or the other. LOL

SCPD

QRT

Sorry, the sky really is falling .. cause unlike the past where there was a possible solution, encryption and OTAR is the final straw. There is no escaping that.

I am not happy listening to the local mall security ... but I know that many of you are. The above is only 1 persons opinion and there are some of us that see the real big picture. This hobby is quickly dying in Canada.

cvfd625

I'm thankful that most of California is still analog and mostly still VHF. That doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. Also, the California Highway Patrol is deeply invested in its VHF low band system. Wildland firefighting is exclusively VHF analog.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought the same thing when RCMP, EMS and basically 75% of everything else went encrypted on PEI. I found other things to listen to. Grant you DOT and school buses are not exciting, but it's better than dead air. Fire departments and mutual aid are also still in the clear.

I'm actually looking to buy a new scanner this year. Will never part with any of them. Sorry to go off topic, just wanted to add to the conversation.

SCPD

QRT
I'm thankful that most of California is still analog and mostly still VHF. That doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. Also, the California Highway Patrol is deeply invested in its VHF low band system. Wildland firefighting is exclusively VHF analog.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes indeed the best listening ever is near LA in my opinion and most are still running VHF and UHF
CHP does have some 700/800 mhz stuff but rarely used from what i noticed
Wildland firefigthing is very good to monitor, LAPD is pretty good but too much simplex.
Kevin Criminal flights are an hourly event around here

SCPD

QRT

All of these things were said by some old ham sitting in his rocker using his Heatkit ham rig.

You mention AFFRCS will have clear channels such as Interop and some fire along with in future Edmonton Transit, Edmonton Sanitation.....

But these will be gone fully encrpyted

EPS
EMS
RCMP
Sheriff Department
Most local and county bylaw, Including ETS transit security

About 90 % of the stuff i listen too now

SCPD

QRT
All of these things were said by some old ham sitting in his rocker using his Heatkit ham rig.

You mention AFFRCS will have clear channels such as Interop and some fire along with in future Edmonton Transit, Edmonton Sanitation.....

But these will be gone fully encrpyted

EPS
EMS
RCMP
Sheriff Department
Most local and county bylaw, Including ETS transit security

About 90 % of the stuff i listen too now

And the whole AFRRCS interop **** that was on the news at the governments 'photo op' on Thursday is the dream of the perfect world.

Interop pretty much does not happen here .. that is not going to change with AFRRCS.

kayn1n32008 says it best .. "Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!"

I know that brechtd and I are the only ones that see it as it is and are not in denial. Anything of any consequence is pretty much a done deal.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
And the whole AFRRCS interop **** that was on the news at the governments 'photo op' on Thursday is the dream of the perfect world.

Interop pretty much does not happen here .. that is not going to change with AFRRCS.

kayn1n32008 says it best .. "Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!"

I know that brechtd and I are the only ones that see it as it is and are not in denial. Anything of any consequence is pretty much a done deal.

Then move to Calgary, The Calgary Digital Radio system is going no where anytime soon, and as I stated earlier they are keeping the District radios open for the foreseeable future.

Besides, It's a much nicer city IMHO :wink:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Being right in the heart of the LA Basin in Cerritos, scanning is nonstop. You can have three or four scanners set up differently, and they still will just keep going. I do understand the frustration of many if law enforcement is your main thing. Some areas are impacted much more than others. I agree with many that there will always be something to scan, but I can also see that the writing is on the wall that scanning will never be as popular as in previous years due to ever increasing encryption.
For me, none of my radios are going anywhere. Started falling in love with radio at age 9 or 10, and keeps getting better now at age 67.

Status
Not open for further replies.