Digital noise on analog conv

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a few freqs in a favorite list where the audio type is set to all and I am getting digital noise . If audio type is set all, should I be hearing digital noise or should it be being decoded?

I also had another freq entered twice in a different list, one as analog search, and the other as nac search. On that one it was digital noise on the analog search freq.

FWIW I am running the latest dmr candidate but these freqs are not dmr, they are P25 phase 1.

Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It may be NXDN or some other flavor that our scanners do not decode yet. I have seen over the last year or so a rise in unlicensed digital radios due to the fact no one could hear them or find out who they were. But I see that changing now that we can start monitoring them. I have a 4 channel DMR site near me that has been in use for over a year and the nearest licensed user is over 200 miles away licensed as a Electric Company and I am hearing local farmers.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
It may be NXDN or some other flavor that our scanners do not decode yet.

Its definitely p25 phase 1 as I have sdrsharp and dsd going and thats what it showed. Also comes up here in the db as p25. Also when choosing digital as audio type, it comes in. Really thought it used to work differently.

I have seen over the last year or so a rise in unlicensed digital radios due to the fact no one could hear them or find out who they were.

I would bet the FCC has the ability to decode anything.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So when the scanner picked it up, it displayed it a 67.0 pl and there was digital noise. Sdrsharp with dsd was showing it as p25 phase 1 with a nac of 167 and decoded it properly. Checked the audio type to make sure, and its set to analog search. Kept the scanner going for a few with sdrsharp and dsd running independently, and there was a few more transmissions. Same end result. Digital p25 coming over a freq set for analog...

Voyager

PL 67.0 is a common false from the tail of P25 transmissions.

It should be decoded on the 436 if the audio is set to ALL.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I checked Sentinel and the actual settings on the freq stored in the scanner and they are definitely set for All. If I can find directions on how to roll back to the latest non dmr firmware, I might give it a try and see what happens.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the scanner cannot resolve the signal to a digital format within 400 mS, the audio path will open and you'll hear whatever the signal is rendered as analog audio. You can adjust the eval time from 0 mS to 1000 mS.

If you know the freq is always digital, set it to Digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.