CHIRP related posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While we haven't had a lot of CHIRP related posts, they often end up in the Scanner Software programming forum. Trouble is, CHIRP has nothing to do at all with scanners - it's primarily for programming ham handhelds and some mobiles;

Perhaps a sub-forum could be set up in the Amateur Radio Equipment forum? Or add another forum in the amateur radio area - there are many other software packages that are also ham radio related, such as those from RT Systems. After all, I suspect folks are putting these questions in the scanner forum simply because we don't have something for this category

And just by way of expansion, the packages listed here are also ham-related...

Amateur Radio Transceiver Control - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
We've handled some these threads in Amateur Radio Equipment. I think that's generally the most appropriate forum since these programs are of little value without the equipment to program. There have been some CHIRP threads that relate specifically to difficulties in programming budget and entry-level transceivers, so those threads have been moved to that forum.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
True, but CHIRP also handles many ham HTs and mobiles, too. I guess you would need to look at the thread to see what was being discussed, and decide on that. For example, the one I just reported has to do with programming a Yaesu HT, so it would belong in the Amateur Radio forums...Mike

DickH

... CHIRP has nothing to do at all with scanners ...

Many of us are using those radios for scanning. A good example is Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. Nearly all the dozens and dozens of Police and Fire systems are in the 460-480 range.
While they scan slower than a regular scanner, the sensitivity is at least equal to a scanner and the audio is much better than most scanners. And they are very economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.