New member, NHDOT question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubiansky

Premium Subscriber
Greetings all,
Brand new member here. I've been scanning since my aunt hooked me on it as a kid 30+ years ago. Kinda let the hobby fade to the background for a while but recent improvements in my employment have allowed me to get into it again.

OK OK my question. Does anyone out there scan NHDOT and know what the hourly reports you hear on what I have listed as Division 5's frequency (453.6750). It sounds like the unit asking for them uses the call sign Sowcook (wild guess on the spelling) but I always seem to miss the beginning of the report.

cboykonh

They are weather reports and road conditions. They use some sort of code that I haven't figured out except for temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecps92

Likely Suncook
https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/planning/gis-data-catalog/documents/state_radio.pdf

Been awhile but is it still numeric codes ?

1-14 for Weather Conditions
1-18 for Road Conditions
and then Temp ??

Greetings all,
Brand new member here. I've been scanning since my aunt hooked me on it as a kid 30+ years ago. Kinda let the hobby fade to the background for a while but recent improvements in my employment have allowed me to get into it again.

OK OK my question. Does anyone out there scan NHDOT and know what the hourly reports you hear on what I have listed as Division 5's frequency (453.6750). It sounds like the unit asking for them uses the call sign Sowcook (wild guess on the spelling) but I always seem to miss the beginning of the report.

jdubiansky

Premium Subscriber
Definitely what I am hearing, sounds like S-# T-(we are guessing this is temp) and R-# except temp, they are low numbers. Thanks for the link, I will poke around some more to see what I can find.

ecps92

Weather
1 - Snowing (Indicate Accumulation)
2 - Snowing and Rain
3 - Raining
4 - Freezing Rain
5 - Sleeting
6 - Storm Over
7 - Cloudy
8 - Clear
9 - Drifting
10 - Heavy Fog
11 - Heavy Winds
12 - Gale Winds
13 - Visibility Poor
14 - Visibility near Zero

Road
1 - Snow on Pavement
2 - Ice on Pavement
3 - Center of Road Partly Bare
4 - Center of Road Mostly Bare
5 - Road mostly Bare
6 - Road Bare
7 - Some Icy Spots
8 - Roads being treated with Salt
9 - Roads being treated with Sand
10 - Slush on Road
11 - Road Closed
12 - Road Open to One-Way Traffic
13 - Road Open to Two-way traffic
14 - Water over road
15 - Washout on Road
16 - Tree down on road
17 - Plowing
18 - Bad Frost Heaves

They also had a 10 Code list, about 28 of them

Definitely what I am hearing, sounds like S-# T-(we are guessing this is temp) and R-# except temp, they are low numbers. Thanks for the link, I will poke around some more to see what I can find.

jdubiansky

Premium Subscriber
Your awesome, thank you. I know the forums are free, but frankly access to this kind of knowledge base is well worth the premium fee!

ecps92

Information copied from the "Offical New Hampshire Frequency Guide" Ninth Edition
You might find some of these old Scanner guides at Flea Markets - still tons of valuable information in them, even with most PD/SO's and NHSP having gone P25
Your awesome, thank you. I know the forums are free, but frankly access to this kind of knowledge base is well worth the premium fee!

cboykonh

Should probably put this info out on the scan New England web site. I've been wondering about this for a long time too.

ecps92

It was only posted as info.
Hasn't been vetted in 15+ years, which is why it is NOT on the SNE Wiki

Should probably put this info out on the scan New England web site. I've been wondering about this for a long time too.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Greetings all,

The answer to the name part of the question is "Soucook" (pronounced as you said). It is a small river that runs next to the Fire Academy and State 911/HSEM/NHSP/DOT Dispatch Center on Smokey Bear Blvd. The Traffic Information Center (DOT Dispatch) calls themselve Soucook Base.

jdubiansky

Premium Subscriber
Excellent thanks. Question completely answered! I guessed this weekend it was there as a DOT unit asked if they could see a disabled car on the cameras.

ecps92

If you happen to Validate a few of those Highway/DOT Codes, let me know and we will work on adding them to the SNE Wiki....not in NH enough to catch the reports
Excellent thanks. Question completely answered! I guessed this weekend it was there as a DOT unit asked if they could see a disabled car on the cameras.

jdubiansky

Premium Subscriber
I will listen in and do my best to compare to weather conditions. I can say for sure the T is temp, the rest I will compare to the list you gave me. Hopefully I won't get a chance to vet "snow on pavement" for a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.